Thread: Gerber Pocket Kinves

Gerber Pocket Kinves

I have picked up a Gerber AR 3.25 lockback knife from WallyWorld. I am very impressed with this knife. The blade is solid and has a very sharp edge. The body has a rubbery handle that will be great when my hands are wet. Overall, this is a nice knife. I was also looking at a Buck Knife at Bass Pro for $10 more, but I could not see any advantage to buy that model. What type of knife (knives) do you have? Any thoughts on Gerber knives?

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I 've had a couple of Gerber pocket knives, and really liked them. I had a Gerber LST(a small, lightweight lockback), and a lightweight 3-blade stock knife that is no longer made. Both took a good edge,and kept it well.
    I now carry a Queen whittler, the firsr Queen knife I've had, and I really like it, too.
    My wife has a Gerber LST I gave her.
    I'm sure you'll be happy with your Gerber.
    Rick

I used to buy a new knife every year or two because I always found one I liked better than the one I had. Bought a Gerber Gator about 10 years ago and am still carrying it.......great steel!!!

I used a Dremel tool with a cutting disk to cut a slot in the blade for some extra friction to facilitate opening the blade with my thumb.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Randy Meijer; 01-17-2005 at 3:03 AM.

I've used a Gerber LST as my everyday pocket knife for years. Every time I lose one, I get another. They're great.

I've used a Gerber LST for years. Love it. Broke the tip of the blade recently and am currently using a Gerber that my company gave me on my 15th anniversary with them. Don't know the model.....brass and wood lockback. Great knife but because of the weight, I prefer the LST.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have a Gereber knife I used to use for SCUBA diving. I don't really care for it. It is very corrosion resistant but it won't take an edge well.

I carried a black, nylon(?)-handled BuckLite knife for about 10 years until I lost it about 2 years ago. Its replacement was a Spyderco Native, which is a HUGE upgrade--has more of the "modern" features, such as thumb-hole for one-handed opening (practically as fast as a switchblade, but legal), and a reversible pocket clip. I don't leave home without it. The blade is a 440A stainless. Fairly hard, but I abuse it and don't sharpen it often enough. On both knives I have broken the tip off and reground them, too...grrrr.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Kershaw, Ken Onion designs. My favorite I own is the "Avalanche".

Maurice

I carry a small Spyderco 2 7/8 inch non-serrated knife every day. I have around a dozen Spyderco and Benchmade knives but I usually carry the smallest of the bunch. I carried a Delica for several years until I broke the plastic clip.

I looked around for a photo of my knife and now I have a few more knives to go on my wish list.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages
    Any thoughts on Gerber knives?
    Dan
    Good for laser etching on the Stainless..
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    Good for laser etching on the Stainless..
    I think there is a coating on the stainless, maybe teflon? I think this will cause a problem with the laser.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I got the Gerber multi-tool and it has a teflon coating. I find it very usefull and handy to have around.

I have carried a Swiss Champ for over 12 years now. Some poeple laugh at at and call it a tool box. I really like the pliers. It is smaller than a multi-tool but has more features. I really like Gerbers the steel take a good edge and has a high Rockwell number but makes it a bit brittle if you abuse it (broken tips as mentioned above.) I also carry a Queen #49 stockmans knife that I'v had since 1988 and small Case lockback with a plastic handle.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery