Thread: Slot cutting with no grooves problem

Slot cutting with no grooves problem

Hi, I make toys and I want to cut 1/4" wide slots only .050 Deep. I have to make
    four vertical slots and 2 horizontal lots that cross each other. I used a dado set
    to do my first prototype and I get small grooves that cross each other. I know
    dado blades have teeth that got to a point on the outside of the blades. I looked at
    router bits and they all seem to come to a point on the diameter, so I would get the grooves with them too. I looked into saw blade types and found that there are Flat top saw blades. I could only find 10" dia. blades with 18T and I don't think I will get the best
    finish when I go across the grain with only 18T. I read FT blades were made with
    18-30T, but I don't know what manufacture makes one with more than 18T.

The toy is going to be a small sink console and the size will be 1 1/2 sq. x 4 1/2 long
    of solid hardwood. The slots will give the look alike effect of front doors. The foucet
    will be made of 5/18 D. and 1/8 D. polished brass rod. There will be a .22" thick back
    flashing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd James View Post
    I looked at router bits and they all seem to come to a point on the diameter, so I would get the grooves with them too.
    Think that over for a moment . . . . . router bits spin. One flute could be longer than the other and you would still get a smooth bottom the depth of the longer flute, eh?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

+1 to what Glenn said regarding the router bit. Also, you can get a 40 tooth WWII from Forrest with the flat-ground teeth. I think they call it a "#1 grind".

http://www.forrestblades.com/woodworker_2.htm, look at WW10401125.

Mike

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here's a Bosch 60t FTG. http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-CB1060L-...7766386&sr=8-1

Or a Freud box joint blade set. 8" dia, 20 teeth. Cuts 1/4" or 3/8".

Slot cutting with no grooves problem

Thankyou for some good suggestions, I did not know about the Forrest Flat top
    blade, and the box joint tool idea might work. I probably would never think about
    the Freud box joint tool, since I have not made any box joints.
    I will have to make some drawers soon.

Lloyd, any blade manufacturer will produce just about any blade you want in any grind.

You just have to contact them and order one.

Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Any blade with raker style teeth should give you a flat bottom cut. If these are blind cuts, just be sure you raise the saw blade into the work and don't lower the work onto the moving blade.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute