Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost Fabulous

Almost Fabulous

It seems to me that Cindy Drozda’s work provides inspiration to many. When it comes to spinnin’ sticks, her finials and pedestals are the gold standard for me. I also think she does a top notch job on her DVD’s as well.

I was lucky to have a brief conversation with her at a gallery in Chicago and see her work up close. Her form and detail work are quite amazing. So, with that in mind I thought it was time to hone some skills and do some apprentice pieces. I chose her diminutive fabulous finial box as my project.

So here are the results of the first few. Of course a couple found a home in the shavings under my lathe. These are fun to do and are good skill builders. Each of these has flaws, but the eighth is definitely better than the first. I think my masculine sensibilities created onions that were too phat and lacked lift. I focused on this and got a better result on the last one I did. A couple hundred more and I may get it.

They are maple and walnut. The trim rings are coco, purpleheart and yellowheart.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Hubl; 02-08-2011 at 2:55 PM.

Agree with your critique but still very nice. I believe you are well on your way to some great pieces. I have Cindy's DVD coming so may get a chance to try for myself.

Mark those are beauties. I did several of these after watching her DVD. These are fun to make. Yours are nicely done and agree with your critique.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

They look good. Nice job.

Very nice Mark.

6. Showing some real potential there! Nice forms, and I agree with your own critique of the "phat onion" but that is easily solved. Nice work!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very nice! I have been practiseing my finial work this week myself but to be completely honest I am having a tough time getting it down, for some reason it is just not clicking in my brain, you on the other hand are doing fantastic! I love these pieces great job!

They look good! Practice pays off!

Mark, great work!! You have left us to guess which is the 8th and most recent - so, I think the one in the back on the tallest plinth is the latest - and, the best from what I see.

Very nice Mark. They all look pretty darn good to me...

Mark Nice work. Finials can be many different shapes. Study the steeples of Russian churches or the ones in the middle eastern countries. I think Cindy has put us into the Calvin Klein look for finials. Sometimes a figure with a little more meat on it can look great too. Hope to see them at the woodturners meeting.

Thanks all for taking a look. These are fun and a bit of a challenge. The hardest part for me is getting the jam fit for doing the finial.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    You have left us to guess which is the 8th and most recent - so, I think the one in the back on the tallest plinth is the latest
    You sir are correct. Unfortunately we are out of cupie dolls!

Nicely done, Mark. I think your detailing is spot on, but I agree with your onion assessment. Scaling them down shouldn't be too much trouble for someone with your skills.

Those are great. I think you are right... we have to watch those "phat onions". But I don't think it has anything to with "masculine sensibilities". Just takes a while to get a feel for this kind of stuff. I have been struggling with the same issue. Stuff either turns out to fat or too thin. Hard to get it "just right". But you done good with these.
    David DeCristoforo

Very nice Mark, and practice is what it always takes. Seeing these, Im thinking after a couple more HF's I should try a couple of these. I guess I can't avoid finials forever! Cindy's vids are pretty good, but Im not a fan of her voice timbre or tonality............
    Thanks for posting.