Thread: New Inlays

New Inlays

Made two new inlays today, both from Poplar wood but using paper for the inlay this time. The second piece has paper that I created using watercolor & charcoal. I've been trying to experiment with different mediums...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liesl, those are truly innovative. I love to see people trying new things and new combinations. Good work! They look awfully delicate, what is the size you made these pieces?

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Thank you Dee! The one on the left is 6" wide x 5.5" high. The one on the right is 4.45" x 4.45". It was really difficult to inlay the leaves on the rectangular piece. Some were extremely small.

Liesl

Neat idea! Does that ever open up a lot of possibilities.
    What is the end use? What kind of finish are you going to apply? What is the thickness of the paper?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Liesl

Neat idea! Does that ever open up a lot of possibilities.
    What is the end use? What kind of finish are you going to apply? What is the thickness of the paper?

Esp. with all the paper possibilities at scrape booking shops!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

That paper was fairly thin on the first one, second one was watercolor paper so it was slightly thicker. Hadn't really thought about markets, I'm figuring most people wouldn't really want to pay for the amount of work that went into it. Thought I would do it more for fun. I don't know if I'm going to put a finish on it or not, afraid I might ruin it, lol!

Those are amazing. Properly finished I think that they could become sellable. One famous cue maker who gets thousands per cue uses paper for his veneers. He is able to get razor thin veneers and in vibrant colors.

I think people would pay, there is a market for just about everything and certainly for unique art like this.

You could also use two layers of paper or some other substrate to glue to in order to give the inlays more body. You could inlay them a little deeper than the surface and then fill up the cavities with lacquer of finish to really seal them in. Some cue makers do this when they undercut the inlays and fill them with finish to give depth and some protection against the inlays lifting.
    Running Chinese 100w - Glass Tube - in China
    Also have - Universal 660 - in USA