Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Native American basket

Native American basket

Morning Creekers......I decided to post another piece of my Basketry. This one is 9.25" D. x 4.25" H., turned sidegrain of maple. Usual woodburning, dyeing, finish. It is a copy of an original made by Lucy Telles around 1905. She was Piaute from the Yosimite area of CA. As usual critiques/comments appreciated.
    Apologies for the poor picture qualities, did'nt have my act together!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

Jim, great design layout on this one!! I am just now starting to comprehend the massive amount of preplanning that takes place on these pieces to get the artwork right. Not only are there hours and hours involved in the beading and pyro work, but that is just the very beginning!

This piece is really very nice - and, the background is perfect for the coloration! Thanks for being a part of us, and for posting your work. I am looking forward to seeing the completed tutorial article when it all comes together.

Beautiful work Jim...such patience that goes into that...suspect many of us would find that a real challenge. I am even more impressed by what appears to be a pretty complete job of mimicking the outside to the inside...wow! Very good tribute piece.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Exactly what John says!

5. Nothing short of AWESOME, Jim! The form of the piece is outstanding in its own right, and then the beading, pyro and colorations are just an art in themselves. This is as good as I have ever seen!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Jim I have a question. How many hours do you have in this beautiful piece? Whatever it is, it was time well spent. Thank you for showing.

Jim, your work is so incredible! Have you even done the interior surface to match? Just absolutely beautiful!

Wow that is a beautiful piece. Really nicely done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautiful - how do you do the inside? Is it 2 pieces glued together? Thanks for sharing

Incredible Jim.

That would be a good bowl to try segmented.

Quinn

John-tnx for the accolades-the Tutorial has been started, will require time to complete. Have been cleaning my shop, 15 yrs of accumulated "junk/dust", ect., good news is I found my lathe!!

very nice......

Roger, Tim & Bernie, Thanks also to you guys for the nice comments. Always appreciated.
    Russel..I usually work on 3-5 forms at any given time so no way to really know the time
    spent on each....not sure I really want to know!! For me it has to be passion!!
    Curt....Yes, inside mirrors outside (with possible adjustments)
    Greg....Yes, 2 pieces (top& bottom) w/ male/female tenon glued. Usually @ max. diameter.
    Quinn...Think you're correct..would be a good project for these long, cold winter nites/days

Ok, First let me tell you how awesome this piece is, Wow, just gorgeous. I can't imagine the time you have in one of these pieces and the careful planning to execute and achieve such a nice piece.
    But that said, I have one question. I noticed that inside the bowl it looks as if it mirrors the outside of the bowl, now is that just from the dye bleeding through and if so, how do you keep it so crisp and not making a blob on the inside. Never worked with dye before , so not quite sure on how penetrating these dyes are, or are you actually dyeing the inside with some method, love to know how you did this or if there is some information or site you can point us to.

Ron, I don't want to step in for Jim, but he has agreed to build a detailed tutorial for us. He is presently working on the uploads for that. As he says, he has no secrets, but this process is rather complex - having seen a lot of Jim's information and seen him in a demo. I am betting the tutorial will be very informative!