Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Todays USA today TS article

Bypass Mode

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I argued this with Gass here on this very forum before he manufactured his first saw.

If Gass is/was so interested in consumer safety, why put a by-pass on his device? The answers....Money and market share...he realized if he couldn't cut wet wood, his product wouldn't sell. Does the by-pass mode make the saw safer? Hardly.
    I think ultimately the bypass mode DOES make the SawStop safer. If the bypass mode was not available, I would never have bought a SawStop. Instead, I might have ended up with a 1949 Unisaw. I suspect that alot of other SawStop owners might have made similar decisions if they could not cut wet wood or other conductive materials. Having the SawStop active and vigilent on 99% of all cuts is definitely safer than cutting them all on a 1949 Unisaw.

Any time safety devices adversely affect the capabilities or convenience of the device, they are more likely to be disabled and not used. When that happens, they provide no safety at all.

But also the bypass mode allows me to rip hot dogs all day long if I want to, as long as I am willing to accept the additional risk. And the splatter. And that funky smell in the dust collector...

Carl

Pat, the issue is not that he wants to make money with it. I'm all for that, it's what America is all about. The issue is the he is trying to have the government require that all table saw manufacturers put his technology in all tablesaws, which means they will all be forced to pay whatever royalty he chooses to price it at. Personally, I want the choice as to whether I want to pay the extra $600 for the feature or not. I don't want it forced on me. It's an undehanded way to make money. It's like inventing the non-chokable hotdog via some proprietary process, and then asking the government to force all hotdog makers to pay you to use your "safe hotdog technology". After all, think of the children!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I think it was mandated due to...
    True enough now (so probably a bad example to use)... but hopefully my point was made that before it was mandated, most cell phone families were already including GPS as a matter of consumer desire.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hunsinger View Post
    I think ultimately the bypass mode DOES make the SawStop safer. If the bypass mode was not available, I would never have bought a SawStop. Instead, I might have ended up with a 1949 Unisaw. I suspect that alot of other SawStop owners might have made similar decisions if they could not cut wet wood or other conductive materials. Having the SawStop active and vigilent on 99% of all cuts is definitely safer than cutting them all on a 1949 Unisaw.

Any time safety devices adversely affect the capabilities or convenience of the device, they are more likely to be disabled and not used. When that happens, they provide no safety at all.
    Exhibit #1 - Crappy blade guards that most users remove and never put back on to the saw.

But also the bypass mode allows me to rip hot dogs all day long if I want to, as long as I am willing to accept the additional risk. And the splatter. And that funky smell in the dust collector...
    Think man, think. BYPASS the dust collector also! No more hot dog pieces parts ( that's a scary thought, pieces parts of pieces parts! ) in the DC system, happy ants/roaches keeping the interior of your TS clean, what a wonderful world!
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Cool me? I'm waiting for the next gen

Planer-Stop
    Jointer-Stop
    Bandsaw-Stop
    Lathe-Stop
    Random-Orbital-Sander-Stop
    Cyclone-Stop

did I miss any?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Lewis View Post
    did I miss any?
    Work-Stop ?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Just STOP!
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson