Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendations for a mask/respirator

Need recommendations for a mask/respirator

The dust from turning and sanding have gotten to be a bit too much for a dust mask to handle.. can anyone recommend a decent, low price better mask or respirator?

David,

3M makes a series 7500 that comes with great filters that last a long time. Go here and you can see them in action. http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-49-safety-week/

You can get them from Amazon and i think even BORG might carry them.
    War Eagle!

Have you considered a supplied air hood? I've got one that I have used for painting and sandblasting, and it works great. Plus no filters to replace.

Cool, I'll check out the 3M respirator. I don't know that a hood is in the budget but I'll look into that too. Thanks for the suggestions!

Not sure what kind of dust mask you are using now but like this model from AO Safty. It's called a woodworkers dust mask. I got it at Sears for like $5 or $8.
    I was just using it tonight and thought after some time I forgot I had it on. Does not fog up my glasses like the disposable mask does.

413AXKH7DFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Another vote for the 3M 7500 series.

Comfy, comfy, COMFY !

I'll check that one out too Dave, thanks.

I love my 3M 7500 with the P100 filters. I went from having bid lung issues to none. Very efective and confortable and low cost.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

3M 6000 series are available at the borgs. Uses the same filters, I believe, as the 7500 series.

Blog Entries
    I just recently began using the 3M 7500 mask. Between dry winter weather and dust in the shop, my sinuses were beginning to be a real pita. With the mask on, I'm good to go. It's very comfortable. I generally keep my safety glasses, ear protection ear muffs, and respirator on for the duration of my dust making time in the shop now and haven't felt even a little bit inconvenienced or uncomfortable yet. We'll see if I feel the same way during warm months.

edit: I think with the filter packs (I got the pink filters for dust filtration, and also got the vapor cartridges for use when painting etc.) I paid a total of $40.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

While it is not low price - I have been using the Trend Airshield for a few years and have been happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I love my 3M 7500 with the P100 filters. I went from having bid lung issues to none. Very efective and confortable and low cost.
    I have the same setup as well, and having worked for ADM Grain for a number of years I have used a lot of different respirators and this one is the best.

I have the 3m half mask and the AO Safety one. The 3m is more comfortable. The AO Safety one leaves marks on my face. The 3m one does not. It does, however, tend to drip if yr doing sanding outside in colder temps. The other nice thing is that you can easily find P100 filters and cartridges that'll allow you to spray with it.

I'm a fan of the 3M 7500 series. They are pretty inexpensive so I actually have 2, one with organic vapor catridges and pre-filters for spraying and one with the dust filters for sanding, etc. One thing I really like is that they are available in different sizes so I could get one that fits decent.

Sherwin Williams sells them with the organic cartridges. I also found a local safety supply store that sells all the components individually. I think the dust setup cost me something like $15-18 total.

I just bought one of these: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/n...21filters.aspx
    (to replace my DustFoe-88 that I can no longer buy filters for) It is quite comfortable and fits very well.