Thread: The four Racers

The four Racers

From "The Art of Making Wooden toys", I made these four racers, the red Ferrari, the blue Bugatti, the green Bentley and the white Mercedes.

My father bought the book in the early 70's and I finally got around to making them.

I fiddled with it on and of since November, doing a little bit here and there ending with about 2 hours work in each car, excluding the paint drying time.

The bodies are made from pine, and the wheels I glued up 12mm plywood for a thickness of 24mm. Length approximately 300mm (12").
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jacques, they look nice - I am sure that they will become heirloom toys for many generations.

Did you fill the wheels before painting? They look pretty smooth.

Jacques,
    Thanks for posting those. I find them inspirational. They make me think of the things I want to do in this same direction.

The wheels were sanded on a mandrel on the drill press with a sanding block. It is not very smooth since you can still see grooves in the surface but it looks almost like treads and I like it.

Pine-wood Derby Cars

These are some sharp cars , my son helps his children makes these pine-wood derby cars and they have won a lot of places . You may want to think about making some display racks for them ............here's one of three I made for them .picture frame28 (Small).JPG
    Usually busier than a cat in a sand box