Thread: Combination Heating/Cooling Units

Combination Heating/Cooling Units

Hi All,

I am in the process of designing a new shop and not sure of the best heating and cooling options. The new shop located in Albuquerque, NM, and is a detached structure that is heavily insulated and of passive solar design. The County is requiring me to have a heat source since there is water in the shop. There is also a wood stove/chimney for cold mornings. I had originally planned on a wall natural gas fed heater and then a swamp cooler for cooling. Any thoughts on an economical way to meet the code requirements? I have given some thought to a combination gas heating and cooling unit. Anyone have experience with these units?

All input is humbly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Hi Ken,

I have this PTAC in my shop: http://www.rainbowappliance.com/PTH153E50AXXX.html

Love it. I can dial in the exact temp I want. It has an anti-freeze feature that kicks it on at 40 degrees when it's off but plugged in.

I would seriously look at radiant heating (hot water) in the floor. Solar panels, with gas WH for back up. Use PEX pipe for tubing in the floor, zip tied to reinforcing wire. Be sure pipe is filled completely with water prior to pouring concrete, or else it can float up through wet concrete.

Any infloor heating is slow to respond to tempature changes like coming into a cold shop to play, and is expensive to install.
    I have an air conditioner in my workshop and a $15 electric heater that suits me fine. The air conditioner ( window unit) needs to be constantly cleaned of dust. A bother doing every few days. I have an air cleaner and a dust collection system but the A/C still gets dirty quickly. A swamp cooler and small electric heater should work well for you.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214