Thread: New show Needs advice

Blog Entries

New show Needs advice

Hello fellow shop workers, I have just about finished my 15 x 8 woodworking shop in the garage and I am up to the inside walls. Would like advice on using all pegboard or pegboard on top half and sheetrock on bottom half. Need some ideas on pro and con or what you think will be the best idea long-term.

Thanks, Toymaker

Blog Entries
    Can't go wrong with the flexibility of pegboard, make sure to get the 1/4" stuff, don't know if they even sell the 1/8" anymore. For the price of drywall, you can get 1/2" OSB which will take a beating compared to drywall and you can screw stuff to it without looking for studs. I have all three in my shop, even have OSB painted and unpainted. Either works fine. Pegboard on the bottom half wouldn't get my vote. Insulating the walls?

I have poured walls in more than half of my basement. Put pegboard on the upper half of the walls. Very flexible and helps organize storage.
    If you wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty. The pig loves it!

I would sheet rock the entire thing, and then use french cleats to hang wall cabinets. You could even mount a 4x8 sheet of peg board on french cleats, and move it later if you decide to rearrange the space. Post some pictures and let us know what you decide to do.

Blog Entries

new shop - need advice

I decided to use the pegboard all the way to the floor, Mainly due to lack of help in doing the sheetrock - I need the storage space (shop total is 15 x 8 ) so needed wall space to hang tools etc. Looks OK took pictures but not sure I know how to get them on post, Think it will work well for me - taping and bedding at the current temperatures in Texas also whould hold me up. Thanks for post
    Toymaker
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had pegboard years ago over my bench. I hated it.
    - you need to space it out from the wall, in order for the hooks to have room
    - you need hooks. Specialty hardware
    - Maybe I had poor hooks or poor pegboard, but the hooks would not stay put. I picked up a hammer or screwdriver, and the hook popped out and fell.
    - but that's okay because you can also buy hook restraints, to hold them put!

I said forget it. I would rather just slap up a cheap piece of plywood (no gap needed) and put in screws or nails to hold tools.

And then there is the dust that every shop gathers. I came to realize that I don't like tools out in the open. I want everything in drawers or behind doors, to keep them from getting covered in dust.
    "It's Not About You."

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    I had pegboard years ago over my bench. I hated it.
    - you need to space it out from the wall, in order for the hooks to have room
    - you need hooks. Specialty hardware......
    ...... I picked up a hammer or screwdriver, and the hook popped out and fell......
    -....... And then there is the dust that every shop gathers.......
    I agree. Some folks like pegbord but I do not, for these same reasons.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Blog Entries
    I like pegboard. I did the walls solid, added cleats and have pegboard panels that I can reposition at will. All other fixtures also reposition at will (poor William). This gives me the flexibility of pegboard where I want it but I can change where I want it too. Just food for thought.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler