Thread: Gobblet Style Lidded Box

Gobblet Style Lidded Box

I have several large projects in the works and needed a break from them, so I took some time and turned this yesterday, finished up the finial this evening. There were a lot of firsts for me with this piece. In the past all of the lidded boxes I have done I drilled a starter hole with a forstner bit and finished up with my chisels from there, on this piece I did all of the hollowing with my spindel gouge. Also the first time I got to use my mini jumbo jaws to hold the piece and finish up the bottom, makes it nice and dont have to worry about damaging the piece. Also first finial, I made about 3 different ones and I liked this one the best, I have not glued the finial in yet I thought I would get your opinions on it, do you think it works with this piece, or should I give it another go?

C&C are always welcome it helps me learn.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. I am liking this one a lot, Tim! Very unique and it looks well fitted [lid to body] I think you are progressing nicely!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nice job on the lidded box. The only thing I would change is to have the widest part of the finial at the bottom, then again, my experience is limited. Nice turning, Tim.

Tim, looks like you have done a nice job on this one. Nice piece of wood, and some good tool control. On the finial, the height looks pretty good - I would probably prefer a wider base, and embellishments seem to look better if they are placed at the 1/3 point on the finial. Just a thought.

Nice piece which I like. For me the finial is not quite right but that's just me. Perhaps something on the 1/3 as John suggested, he is a pretty good at finial's which you probably know.

Don't get me wrong, I love everything about you gobblet style box, its beautiful and very well detailed and done. But that said I don't know if I'm sold on the finial on this one, not sure what it is, maybe it has to many sharp features to it instead of more rounded features as your goblet box lid has. Anyway that just my two cents, see what the others say.

Tim,
    I think it looks great! I've done a couple of these and they are fun to do. What kind of wood, and what are the dimensions?

Nice job Tim! You might try duplicating the stem of your pedestal, just on a lot smaller scale, for the lower portion of your finial.

I am so glad I didnt glue the finial in yet, I knew that I could get some good solid input from you all! And thanks to all for the kind words! Everything that you said about the finial makes perfect sense, I will redo this with a wider base, do away with the sharp edges, and try to bring some of the detail from the stem up into the finial. Thank you!

Tim, If I remember correctly, you , like me, are relatively new to turning. As such, every project we make helps develop our skills and tool control. I think your lidded box is wonderful and a real achievement since it is a step toward the next project. You seem to be learning quickly. Save this one and look at it compared to something you make in a couple months and you will really enjoy your progress.
    faust

Hi Faust, yes I think I am right around the 2 month mark in my turning adventure. Thank you for your nice comments, and I fully agree, I have had a lot of things that have been complete flops the past few weeks, some I have just chucked right into the trash after I was done turning them, but I look at those as experiments and learning pieces, I already have the next several projects roughly planed out in my head, and always look forward to starting something new!

Tim,
    Beautiful Goblet. I'd love to have something like that on my desk at work. Great job.
    Jim Watkins
    Aliso Viejo, CA.

EPILOG Mini 24 - 45w
    Corel X4; PhotoGrave 3.0
    Nova 1624-44 Lathe

Great job! I don't think I could have made anything like that at my two month mark, and it would probably still give me fits a few years in now. My take on the finial... It's a pretty masculine box, so I think a decorative knob might fit better with the piece. Looking forward to seeing what you settle on.

Hey, I really like this piece. The finial doesn't do mush for me I think because it is pointy in the middle. The goblet is rounded. Otherwise I think if it works for you, go for it.

Great job Tim. I really like the goblet. Some nice tool work there.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.