Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It is gonna snow. A bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    well I said we weren't getting much snow. Here's the current weather map. Caution: slippery when wet!

The pink is ICE
    What happened to my picture?

Rick, I think it has something to do with where you linked from, nothing to do with the creek.

The paper here says 6-8" but that was probably the minimum depth anywhere in my driveway. I went out at 8:30AM and started plowing, came in for a 9:30 conference call, and went back out until 1:30. That included plowing my driveway, completely clearing the road in front of my house shoulder-shoulder, doing a neighbor's drive, and plowing out 1 lane (with room for error) wide down to the nearest paved road, about 1/4 mile and clearing in front of several neighbors mailboxes. In a normal snow I can plow in about 30 minutes, plus another 30 if I need to go down to the corner.

In our county, dirt roads are 3rd on the priority list. First the interstates (there's 3) and primary routes like US-24. Then they do the paved roads. Then dirt roads. Then last the subdivisions. At 1:30 they still hadn't gone down the paved road. They must still be pretty bad since school already canceled for tomorrow.

I know in Toledo, Woodcraft was CLOSED!

Since I can't go anywhere tonight, I'll be working to make up the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Rick, I think it has something to do with where you linked from, nothing to do with the creek.

The paper here says 6-8" but that was probably the minimum depth anywhere in my driveway. I went out at 8:30AM and started plowing, came in for a 9:30 conference call, and went back out until 1:30. That included plowing my driveway, completely clearing the road in front of my house shoulder-shoulder, doing a neighbor's drive, and plowing out 1 lane (with room for error) wide down to the nearest paved road, about 1/4 mile and clearing in front of several neighbors mailboxes. In a normal snow I can plow in about 30 minutes, plus another 30 if I need to go down to the corner.

In our county, dirt roads are 3rd on the priority list. First the interstates (there's 3) and primary routes like US-24. Then they do the paved roads. Then dirt roads. Then last the subdivisions. At 1:30 they still hadn't gone down the paved road. They must still be pretty bad since school already canceled for tomorrow.

I know in Toledo, Woodcraft was CLOSED!

Since I can't go anywhere tonight, I'll be working to make up the time.
    We closed early Tuesday, and may have been closed all day yesterday (Machester, CT Woodcraft).

This morning, I had to get winched out of my driveway. How pathetic is that?

Well Phil, how did you make out with the storm up in Milwaukee?. As you already/ probably know, Chicago took a large beating, and many motorists got stranded on the northbound lanes of Lake Shore Drive. I went through 4 tanks of gas on my old Sears 20" 2- stage snowblower, ended up changing the oil last night cause it finally got too dirty from the engine running for so long, and inspected the spark plug for wear. Oiled everything up for the next go-around, whenever that might be, and am now fully tired of shoveling and blowing snow. Then again, I'm better off than John C. in Conn., so I can't complain that much.

There's been incredible price gouging around here. I had my roof cleared last week for $300. This week everyone's charging $800+ (glad I got mine done last week!). One quoted $1100. The 5 minute winch out of my driveway cost me $100. I've gotten tows to Hartford for less than that. The station is 2 miles from my house. Fortunately, there's a local hardware store that's NOT gouging on his salt, ice melt, shovels etc. He's got me business for life. There's a couple of others that will get my business moving forward as well. I've compiled a nice long list of businesses I will NEVER do business with again, though. I hope people around here have long memories and talk with each other. Business is business, but this is just sinful.

Well, we just saw our UPS driver for the first time since Monday. By the time he would have gotten here Tuesday our road was impassible, then Wednesday and yesterday. He couldn't even get here by his normal route today, but went around a different way and made it through. A real pain since I had an important package to be picked up using their call tag service so I couldn't take it and drop it off myself.

Well, we got about 1/2" Thursday nite, on top of a minute amount of sleet. Shut things down here. I went outside the house twice yesterday, once to get the paper and once to take a few pictures. Will get up to 54 degrees today, thank goodness. Monday it was almost 80 degrees. I wish it was either 80 or 40, not both in the same day. As they say, "We just ain't equipped for it". Have read a good book tho.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Well, big suprise today as a chance of snow showers today turned into a forecast for 2-4" as of this morning, then 3-5" and there's 6" here. Made for a really fun day (among other reasons) since a group of us drove from SE Michigan to Columbus today. Was supposed to start in the afternoon but arrived by mid morning and we got caught up in it. Saw lots of cars where they weren't supposed to be.

You need to move to the UP. We haven't got that much snow this year. The big storms keep going south of us. I guess you are getting it instead of us.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    You need to move to the UP. We haven't got that much snow this year. The big storms keep going south of us. I guess you are getting it instead of us.
    The UP? The same UP where most two story houses have exterior doors on the second floor? The same UP that has a 40 foot pole that marks the annual snow fall records? (the last time I saw it, it said 36 feet).

John C.: Never heard of roof clearing before. I lived in Boston for a while, Swampscott (by the sea), was there during "The Perfect Storm". I sure am glad I never had to clear the roof, that would have killed me financially back then.

It rained cats and dogs here! No not really, but it did snow sand. Here in East Texas about 3" fell THUR. night. It is finally melted. This
    monring we drove our car to church, I hadn't removed the snow from it just let it melt.. I noticed that the car was covered with a thick coating of fine sand. obviousely the snow contained a large amount of sand which had come from a western dust storm, and was mixed into the snow clouds. Back in the 50's I was stationed at Whellus AB, Lybia N. Africa, the base is on the shore of the Meditranian. Large to giant size water spouts can develope and come inland, these cyclones suck up million of gallons of seaweed, fish etc. On one occasion 3 spouts came across the Base and went through the flight line area. About 30 aircraft fuel drop tanks in their crates, (each about 400#) were sucked up, along with 3 or 4 truck loads of long 2x4 & 2x6 lumber. We watched them swirlling upward into the high clouds and disappear, to later be rained out onto the desert. WOW what a sight!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    I know you're not going to take this the wrong way, but can you believe we ended up on th UP for our honeymoon? We'll surely be back, if for no other reason than to correct all of the horrific mispronunciation of Finnish

We were there for several days, and had quite a nice time. Of course, it was in April so it was very quiet and uncrowded.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 02-06-2011 at 7:36 PM.

John, did you visit that monestary with monks that sells baked goods? Someone told me that it was not really a monestary... just a business. Felt deflated after that. But those gigantic muffins are awesome!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Alright, this morning there was a severe weather alert for our area for up to 12" of snow mostly Monday night through Thursday some time.

At noon it was increased to a possible 16". And they started using the word "blizzard."

Just checked it now and they're saying up to 24".

Do you see where this is going? Why do I keep checking?

24" is a lot of snow. Enough snow to shut even a city like Milwaukee down for a few days.

I need more wood.
    I hear ya' Phil! My dad lives in Caledonia and he told me it was the worst he's seen in the 44 years living there!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Melia View Post
    John, did you visit that monestary with monks that sells baked goods? Someone told me that it was not really a monestary... just a business. Felt deflated after that. But those gigantic muffins are awesome!

Mike
    Monastery? Nope. We were out on the north-western tip. There was a college town there....Houghton, I think? Anyhow, we were in that area and made it out to Copper Harbor. For those that don't know, that's like dangling from a thread in the middle of a big lake. That's the first time in my life that my car read "80 Miles To Empty Tank", and I was starting to get VERY nervous about running out of gas. There is just NOTHING open up there in the off season, nor is there any cell phone coverage. My GPS thought we were in Canada and it didn't have any of the roads in it's map anyhow....and it's a LOOONNNGG walk to town

It was so nice to get away from all the people that annoy me, which is most people, by the way...