Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It is gonna snow. A bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    Yes, global warming may well be related to the relatively high snowfall much of the country has experienced in recent years. Snow develops best with temperatures moderately below freezing. Really bitter cold doesn't generate so much.
    Actually, that's not entirely accurate. It can snow just as easily at 10 below as it can at 20 above, as long as there is moisture in the atmosphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I'm just hoping it dumps it all on Phil and Matt so there's nothing left by the time it gets to me!
    Now there's an idea! I'm hoping it is all snowed out by the time it gets to Buffalo. Hey, a man can wish, can't he?

And Myk.... do you want to come do my driveway with that?
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Cool

My wife and I drove through Milwaukee Sunday morning about 3:15. The roads were excellent. We checked into a condo in Estero, FL Monday morning after about 1400 miles of good roads and not heavy traffic. I'm sure glad we don't have to deal with the snow and cold for the next two months. I will be checking with friends and relatives to see how they are dealing with the weather. It is now sunny and 80 degrees and I am loving it!

We're supposed to get smacked by either a big gob of snow or freezing rain.

I'm so sick right now, I don't care which one we get hit by. I guess if I had ny druthers. I'd druther it be the snow.
    @ least that way I could run screaming out into it w/a shovel and tie into it until I keeled over w/a heart attack....

Right now a massive heart attack would seem like an improvement over the way my head has felt the last week..

I'll gladly trade 12 to 24 inches of snow for the 1 to 2 inches of ice we are getting. I'm shocked that I still have power and can post this.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by John Fabre View Post
    Talk about global warming
    Yep. With warmer temperatures there is less polar ice, more evaporation, more moisture in the atmosphere.

Coming down pretty good here...

...and I am home. YAY. Work closed at noon today and I am not expected to go in tomorrow.

Looks like I get some extra shop time this week!

Well, I just got done plowing....again. The annual ATV mileage for this year is 15 miles. That's 15 miles of driving back and forth in my driveway. It doesn't even feel like I'm actually plowing it anymore. All I'm doing is randomly moving it around. There's nowhere left to put it. Supposedly we're in for more tomorrow. I haven't even bothered listening to the weather report. What's another foot of snow at this point? 2 feet? Whatever. Bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rossi View Post
    Yep. With warmer temperatures there is less polar ice, more evaporation, more moisture in the atmosphere.
    More moisture in the air, more clouds, more reflected sunlight, more moderated temperatures...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I'm going to ask again that we refrain from any talk of global warming in this thread.

If you want to get your own threads locked, then go right ahead. Don't get mine locked.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    Yes, global warming may well be related to the relatively high snowfall much of the country has experienced in recent years. Snow develops best with temperatures moderately below freezing. Really bitter cold doesn't generate so much.
    In that case I have 4' of global warming surrounding my driveway.

Sorry Phil. Posted this early in the thread only to find your post.

oopsie
    Last edited by Leo Graywacz; 02-01-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Snow is is 70% off Sale

Hi Phil, We are almost neighbors, living in Jackson. I may have to borrow your
    snowthrower. I take care of a neighbors Springer Spaniel and you wouldn't believe how he loves to pull me through the snow when we go on a trail behind one of our holding pons. I havn't got this tired in years.

well I said we weren't getting much snow. Here's the current weather map. Caution: slippery when wet!

The pink is ICE

We had some 4' snow drifts and about 18" of snow in the driveway. There were a couple of areas with no snow. Not many, though.

The Toro single-stage snow thrower was up to the job, though. In two hours I did 2.5 driveways and three sidewalks.

Watching the local news now. Lots of interstate closures. Expressway backups for miles. Plows can't get through. And some of the snow drifts apparently have cars underneath them.

Home today in the shop. Work is closed because the MA town I work in delcalared a snow emergency and there is no parking. As usual, they hyped the storm up and it has been just another ho hum snowfall, 6" yesterday and about 8" today with another 2" tonight. The 4 feet we got in January has settled won to about 2 feet and the blankety blank deer have been denuding my shrubs. The roads are fine, and it only took about 45 minutes to clear the driveway and the area between the house and barn. Back to work tomorrow.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Well here in SE Michigan it is hard to tell if we really got the 12" of snow they were predicting. Last night on my drive home, at about midnight, there was about 4" on the freeways and no sign of the plows. Lucky for me there were also very few other drivers. It really only took me 1/2 again as long as it normally does. This morning, if I had to guess I would say we got maybe 8". The snow was up to the second step out my back door and since I built them with a 4" rise due to a very old dog's ability to get up much taller steps, I would guess 8". There were drifts that may have gone 14-16. All in all we didn't get hit too bad here.