Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where / How do you store your jigs?

Where / How do you store your jigs?

I seem to be collecting a number of jigs, and finding a place to store them has been a problem. How do you store your jigs? I'm talking about things like crosscut jigs, router circle jigs, dado crosscut jigs, miters, etc...

Any creative solutions to the problem that people have been using?

Pegboard, hook, done.

Mostly I hang them wherever I can. Even my big crosscut sled I found a spot to hide on the side of my miter saw's DC hood.

Most of them, I put a hole in, so I can hang it on a peg on the wall.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Since no one can see the pile of stuff in that corner of my shop, I'll claim that mine are neatly organized.

I mainly have slat wall in the unused areas, so I'll have to find slat wall pegs. Wall space is short, however.

Alan, I've been thinking about this myself. Just moved the shop and have a pile of them. I'm in a basement shop and used to hang them on long nails driven into a board I attached to the floor joists (overhead) and against the wall. It worked fine, but the one you want is always buried by others and they are all odd shapes that get interlocked. So, I am toying with the idea of hanging them on short lenths of cord. Same deal, drill a hole in the jig, but instead of hanging on a nail - hang on a hook at the end of some cord. That way I can swing them around and work my way thorugh the menagerie to the one I want. Still just a thought. Curious to hear what you think. Bill

Sounds interesting. I don't have exposed joists, though. I have a drywall ceiling. I'd love to see pictures of it if you take that route.

Shops have only so much accessible wall space. If you must hide a few jigs behind others, so be it. Pulling a few down and replacing them after getting the one you need is no biggie! Much less time than it took to type this on a crappy keyboard that misses letters, making me go back and fill in deletions mistaken for bad spelling!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Blog Entries
    Years ago I built a table for my lunch box planer to give me a longer in feed and out feed tables to eliminate snipe on boards. It was supported by two metal work bench style legs. My jigs were accumulating under the table. Just this week I finished a new base to fit under the original table top to replace the metal legs. When I designed it, I made spaces to hold many of my jigs that included adjustable shelves and a large drawer for my hand drills and brad gun. It also gave a home for my shop vac and pancake air compressor to go when they are not being used. As a bonus last night I made a quick block that screws onto one end of the new cabinet to hold my Kreg cross cut guide when I am ripping on the table saw.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

My shop is small (14 X 26) and the ceiling is bare exposed beams and 8' above the floor and there is very little wall space left for hanging much of anything. Since I am just shy of 6' tall, I have found that the space above me is good for hanging my smaller jigs from hooks screwed into the beams and all of the jigs have a 1" hole in them for hanging. The short jigs never seem to get in the way, but some of the longer ones (closer to 24") sometimes cause problems, so I have moved these to areas where I don't work directly below them. The shorter table saw jigs and push sticks are hung above the front edge of my table saw and it's extension table. The longer tapering and cove jigs are actually hanging on a door, while the router and other jigs are located more above or near my workbench and there are a few band saw jigs hanging, not directly above, but near my band saw. This isn't a perfect solution, but it works better for me than having them in piles on the benches or in a corner of the shop. When I want one it is always easy to find and select the right one and I probably have 20 or so hanging above me this way.

Charley

I hang them on a pegboard wall. Some of the jigs that have only been used once hang up near the ceiling out of the way.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    Since no one can see the pile of stuff in that corner of my shop, I'll claim that mine are neatly organized.
    +1. Me too. I would never build a false wall for a lumber rack, then hide crap behind it.
    Seriously.
    Paul

Any good ideas on how to store miter gauges?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Any good ideas on how to store miter gauges?
    Here's how I store my Incra Miter 1000HD with its auxiliary fence attached. It's easy to put to use and easy to store away. The miter bar sits in a dado and arms cradle the fence. I also cut a slot to hold the adjustment hex driver so I don't have to look for it elsewhere (there are a couple rare-earth magnets inset behind the slot to hold the driver in place).

IMG_0578_Pub.jpg