Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I just had to try it.

Thanks! It's beaded and colored.
    Never pass up the chance to use a hand plane.

Beautiful work, Carl. This is on my list of things to try. Did you make an index wheel for marking out the segments? I'd like to see some pictures if you did. I have made one with 144 index marks, still working on the locking mechanism. Again, beautiful work!!

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Beau - T - full! [small tip: I'd leave a few bare or at least brown sections. Its supposed to imitate straw after all, but thats just a matter of taste.]

Carl: I think you did a fine job. It is bright & colorful. I have done many segmented turnings & stained glass over the years, and geometric patterns are the hardest to do. The eye sees tiny inconsistencies, and one cannot get away with fudging!! For a first I think ya did just super.

I'm sitting here admiring your work and thinking if you made ond small error when you applied the dye you might botch the whole job. Great planning and execution. Love the work.
    faust

Very - Very impressive work Carl and I definitely tip my hat to your patience! Love all the color!

Looking forward to seeing where this leads you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very nice work indeed. You did well on your first piece of this type. Looking forward to another.

I agree Norm. I think there should always be an "I'm a piece of wood" statement somewhere. The center of the bottom was going to be that, but I got carried away and colored it.

Hi Richard. Yes, I made an index wheel. It was just a circle with 96 lines that I taped to my lathe. A pointer on the shaft indicated. I used a wedge to hold the shaft while I marked. It really isn't worthy of a picture. I intend to make a better one with lock etc.

Totally impressive and just plain gorgeous. ...Bill...

A very stunning job you have done. Something to be most proud of.

Very cool piece. Can't imagine how it is done and would not dare try something that takes a month to complete. One moment of inattention and my tears would rust the bed of my lathe. Well done!