Thread: NE maple burl / rosewood

NE maple burl / rosewood

Two or three weeks ago, I posted pics of a small maple burl, for feedback on how to approach using it. This is what I came up with. Thanks for the suggestions.
    It doesn't have much for eyes and chatoyance, nonetheless, I still think it's a nice piece of wood. Whatever you want to call this, goblet, chalice, wierd thing on a stick, it wouldn't take much of a gust to blow it down.
    The maple is 3 3/4" x 3" and overall 6 1/4" tall. So far, finished with 2 coats of AO. The stem is rosewood and is .104" at the thinnest point. My intent was to try to lift the burl and minimize attention on the stem, keeping it quite plain. Would have made a larger foot, but I was limited to stock on hand.
    Thanks for looking and critiques and comments are a real help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice job Roland. Really well done. You did a great job mimicking the cup at the top of the pedestal. I think you accomplished what you set out for with the simple pedestal. I would like to see just a bit more of a curve to soften it. As for the foot. You could always add to it with a piece of matching wood from the top. It would look a little more balanced and less tipsy. I have to say this group is getting awfully good at making these goblet forms!

3. Nice turning Roland........the form is real good. If I were to suggest any changes it would be to increase the size of the foot to make it a little more stable.

Very nice indeed! Your natural edge is well executed, and adds a dimension to the turning that a plain rim would not have done. This is just nice!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Well done Roland!! I'm on board with the wider foot. The cup is amazing...excellent form. I think you pulled the "lift" off well.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Good looking goblet. Nice job.

Very beautiful piece Roland. Although I don't have the skills to turn a piece like that, I would agree with others on a larger foot. As you said though, you were limited by stock on hand. Keep up the nice work.

Good job Roland! I have not tried one of these so can't add much. The cup looks great as well as the top of the pedestal that holds the cup. The only thing I can suggest that might make it flow a little better is that the upper sides of the pedestal appear to go straight to the narrowest point. If they could have curved slightly inward a little earlier, that would have extended the narrowest part to a little bit longer length. Perhaps it would have made the pedestal look a little more gracefull and a little less triangular.

That is a beauty Roland. I agree with a larger foot for stability.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Roland - nice work! Normally I am all in favor of having a small base - but it needs to be proportional. This one looks like it should be slightly larger in diameter... and you could always use a piece of maple (like Mark suggested) or a piece of whatever wood dyed to closely match the Rosewood.

Nice work! Really like the curve on the goblet!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I do agree with all Steve is saying, very nice but it needs a larger foot ;-))
    Have fun and take care

Roland, you did a fantastic job on this one!! I will have to say you came very, very close to a perfect ogee curve on the cup - very nice work! I do agree on the foot, and I think a maple base would be great. How does it feel to be back at the lathe?

Beautiful piece, Roland. I think you nailed the curves of the main form, and I like the detail repeating the main form at the top of the pedestal. I agree with Baxter that the area just below that on the pedestal would benefit from a little curve. I agree with your desire for a slightly larger foot, and I hate when my wood stash won't accommodate my vision. I think you should be proud of this one.

Thanks a bunch everyone, your feedback is priceless and really appreciated. I've still got the jam chuck on the lathe, so it won't take much to redo the foot. I may end up dying something I've got around the shop, it's about time I tried that anyway. I've got to say though, that rosewood is sweet to turn.
    Baxter, I'll definitely incorporate an inward curve on the new one, thanks
    John, getting back on the lathe is awesome, I only wish I could free up more time for it, say 23 hrs./day