Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill press table t-track: Mini track or full size?

Drill press table t-track: Mini track or full size?

I'me getting ready to build a drill press table. I'd like to add some T-track for hold downs and have almost no experience with the stuff. I like the lower profile of the mini t-track (uses 1/4-20 bolts), but I also like the idea and versitility of the thicker stuff. Opinions?

The table will be 2 layers of 3/4 melamine or laminated MDF, glued and screwed together.

Thanks.

I'd go full size. I like to over build stuff.

I've got a crummy Craftsman DP table and the fence slides with 1/4-20 bolts in the track.

The fence deflects and twists like crazy if I try to mount hold downs to it. This could be just crummy Craftsman engineering, but I think if I used better angle brackets to secure the fence to the track I'd be ok.

Point is..... I like to build with extreme use in mind.
    It just happens that the table I have now only cost $20 so I bought it.
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

I have an Incra drill press table. The T-Tracks are the Mini type that use a 1/4-20. I've never had any problems with it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

In general I prefer the mini because it works with a 1/4-20 bolt and I have plenty of those in various lengths.

FYI - I built a DP table recently, Got the track + clamp stuff from Rockler. The track I got is 3/4" x 3/8", The key point is that I got the style that lets you use 1/4" hex-head bolts OR 1/4" flange bolts.

IMO - the flange bolts are the way to go - they move in the track much easier, without hanging up on the track sides like the hex-head bolts do.

Got the flange bolts at Lowes - good price, IIRC.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I'd go with the regular T-track. Mainly for increased versitality. Quite a few of my hold downs and other fixtures use t-bolts and several are 5/16" t-bolts too. I don't think they'll fit the mini t-track. I used regular Incra t-track on my table.

If you are going to add T-track, I would use the stuff that captures bolt heads for the most popular cam, rocker, or Destaco clamps and other jigs. I believe most use the size that accepts 1/4-20 hex bolt heads and flat backer nuts- check out what is available on the WoodPeckers and INCRA websites.

Something to consider, unless I am using a big diam. Forstner bit or fly cutter or drill a small piece of metal, I don't use the holddowns- I have a Woodpeckers table on my drill press that has two tracks for holddowns. Even with dust collection, the tracks are a catch-all for wood and metal debris, nuts, bolts, drill bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    Something to consider, unless I am using a big diam. Forstner bit or fly cutter or drill a small piece of metal, I don't use the holddowns- I have a Woodpeckers table on my drill press that has two tracks for holddowns. Even with dust collection, the tracks are a catch-all for wood and metal debris, nuts, bolts, drill bits.
    That's a pretty good point Alan.
    Would it help matters if I cut a couple of MDF or UHMW runners to fill the negative space? They should be easy to insert or remove since these tracks are running front to back on the table and I'll have easy access to the ends.

Great idea! Why didn't I think of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    Great idea! Why didn't I think of that!
    Lol, that comes from years of practice as a messy house keeper. Instead of cleaning up the mess properly, I just find ways of keeping it from intruding in to important stuff.

Glad I could be of service

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Maiers View Post
    That's a pretty good point Alan.
    Would it help matters if I cut a couple of MDF or UHMW runners to fill the negative space? They should be easy to insert or remove since these tracks are running front to back on the table and I'll have easy access to the ends.
    I have dust collection on my DP so there really is no build up. Collecting at the source keeps it off the floor and off all the other stuff lower than my DP table ;-) If things do get tucked away in the slots I just run the hose past them during the interval when the DP is off but the DC has not yet stopped.

Funny-Pipe-001.jpg

As you can see my Woodpecker table has the 1/4" track. Nearly everything else I have uses the 5/16" track. Had I made the table myself it would have had 5/16" track BUT, only because I already had so many other items with 5/16" track. The 1/4" works well which I did not expect. I thought it would be a little wimpy but, it does fine. The universal track from Rockler would solve any concern you have by allowing both fasteners to be used.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-28-2011 at 8:54 AM. Reason: clarity.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have dust collection on my DP so there really is no build up. Collecting at the source keeps it off the floor and off all the other stuff lower than my DP table ;-)
    I've got a similar setup but still get stuff in the T-slots.

I have built several drill press tables and also band saw circle cutting jigs from 1/2" MDF and the standard 1/2" thick T-track. That allows using the table saw and straight cuts versus routing into a thicker board for the track, and the 1/2" MDF is 1/2" thick and not fractional like plywood. The MDF can be glued up to make thicker section if required. Several coats of cut shellac provide a sealed and slick surface to the MDF.

That sounds much easier. I don't believe I've seen 1/2" track locally, only the 3/8 and the 5/8 stuff. I'll have to keep a look-out for the next project.

I knocked most of this project out last night. since I had a stick of mini-track in the shop, I decided to use it and see if it works well enough for me. If not, it won't be difficult to rebuild. Anyhow, I wound up using two layers of 3/4" white melamine, mini-tracks running front to back, and a circular insert mounted off-center. It's probably not perfect, but it's a lot better than the stock surface!

Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom.

Jay M

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have dust collection on my DP so there really is no build up. Collecting at the source keeps it off the floor and off all the other stuff lower than my DP table ;-)
    Glenn,
    How well does that hose work? Does it stay where you put it, or does it have a tendancy to move / fall? I've heard pros and cons about that stuff; I'm wondering if I should buy it or if I should put some more money towards the Loc-Line hose.

Nice table BTW. I like the tab on the back that holds the DC hose. I also like the 4-track concept, but I though it was overkill for the small stuff I tend to work with. All in all, your table is much better looking than mine
    Last edited by Jay Maiers; 01-28-2011 at 8:00 AM.