Thread: Introduction

Introduction

Hi There,

My name is Andy Birko and I'm mostly a bandura maker. I've already introduced myself on the CNC forum but figured I'd post a few pics here just to show what I've done.

I'm pretty much a fan of all woodworking methods. I have a decent collection of planes, old and new and I'm planning on buying a CNC machine in the very near future to do the things I draw but can't execute.

I've got a blog documenting the last three instruments I've made here: http://banduramaker.blogspot.com which are a guitar and two banduras. The pictures I've uploaded go all the way from my first instrument, the pic where I've got a goatee, which looks kind of like Homer Simpson built it to my latest, the one with the curly sunburst. I'm pretty proud of how they came out starting with bandura #3 (the amber one with walnut trim) and beyond

Anyhow, nice to meet everyone. I've been doing this a while and though my output is pretty low, perhaps I have some experience I can share with others.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice work, Andy. An instrument I have absolutely no familiarity with. Is it designed for the left hand to finger individual notes or do you simply pluck it like a harp?

Originally, it was kind of a reverse harp guitar - long strings were fingered and there were a few treble strings that were plucked. Over the centuries, more treble strings were added and the bass strings were no longer fretted.

Back in Ukraine, there's a bit of a resurgence of the old style instruments with a neck that allows fingering and there's even a few guys who can play them well that way. Not my gig though.

It's definitely one of those things you do because you love it. Right Andy?

Glad you checked in. We have been trying to get a music forum in here for a while. It's nice having so many other resources at hand in one single place. Do the contributor thing, you never know what will show up in the classifieds!

Mike

Welcome Andy. I am also not familiar with the instrument but phenominal work for sure and looking forward to seeing more.

As an aside - anyone who maintains two open beers at the same time immediately has my respect (pic with you seated).
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    As an aside - anyone who maintains two open beers at the same time immediately has my respect (pic with you seated).
    Thanks, Larry. Unfortunately I can't take full credit for that. The guitar in the picture was my first "real" guitar that I made and I went to a friend's house to set it up as I don't have the tools for cutting nut slots and such - nor the experience. I have been known to go double fisted before though ;^)