Thread: Philadelphia Slab Table

Philadelphia Slab Table

Well, I have not posted very much on SMC, much less any finished projects. The truth is the finished projects have been few and far between.....

But, I recently had some nice pictures taken of a table I finished in 2010. It is modeled after a table I saw in a Winterthur publication(The Downs book for reference). The original was from Philadelphia, made in the Chippendale style, so I tried to carry through the character of the original, even though this was not an exact reproduction.

This was my second piece with carved ball and claw feet, and I think these were MUCH better than the first set. The carved moldings were fun to do. By far the most difficult portion was the carving on the knees. At this I just think I need to keep practicing.

I was proud that my Dad showed this table at his presentation at the SAPFM annual dinner when he accepted the Cartouche award last week. Congratulations Dad!

Wood: Walnut and Red Oak (back rail and interior bracing)

Finish: Aniline Dye and shellac

Dimensions: 48” L x 34” H x 22” D

Top: Granite

Photos: Jim Mathis, Overland Park KS

Thanks everyone for checking it out. I look forward to your comments. Cal
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nicely done Calvin. You did a great job on the gadrooning on the aprons. I was really happy to meet you and your brothers in Williamsburg last week. I already knew your Dad of course from previous years. It was great to see him receive the Cartouche award and it was well deserved. I had no idea he had produced anywhere near as much work as the numbers indicated. It places a whole new meaning to the word prolific.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Very nice, Calvin, thanks for posting your pictures. And, yes, I'd say that you're getting a handle on ball and claw feet .

Excellent work, Calvin...As always...The carving results are outstanding!!! Thanks for showing..
    Jerry

The whole piece and in particular the ball & claw and knee carving is exceptional!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Cat's meow!!!!

Well done. This work appears to have required craftsmanship.

Nice post,
    Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Beautiful work, Calvin!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Real nice work Calvin.

Blog Entries
    Very nice work Calvin. Inspiring!

Ben
    My blog: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/blog.php?70802-Ben-Arnott

Beautiful work, Cal.

I watched the in-progress pics but now that I see the professionally taken photos, it looks even better...a really fine piece that shows off your craftsmanship very well.

Congratulations to your dad on winning the Cartouche award.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Beautiful work. The legs and feet are outstanding.

Thanks guys for the comments and especially for recognizing my Dad for the award. Enjoyed meeting you as well Dave, and hope to see you next year.

For those out there who carve, what are some tips to "rub out" the carvings, take away the shiny spots and highlight the carving with a glaze or some other method? As you can see I struggled with that.

Thanks again, CH