Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good source for new dividers?

Good source for new dividers?

I am surprised that Lee Valley and Tools for working Wood do not carry any dividers that are for joinery. I see the Starretts at LN and CS. Are there any other good options out there? I don't want to spend a bunch and I don't want to go to ebay for a precision instrument. Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks!

If you want something precision and very inexpensive, an office supply like "Staples" , around $16.00 for a set of three good enough for drafting- thats what I bought to use in a job site office. But, if you are looking for something for laying out joinery, either "Harbor Freight" or Ebay is plenty good and what you buy from Ebay often has "character", which makes the tool enjoyable even when it is just on the work-bench- not doing a thing

Lee Valley does carry dividers, but they're hidden under Calipers, under Lee Valley Calipers.
    I have a non-black (i.e. silver) version of the 6" version from Di Legno Supply. Nicely made with the quick release nut, but I sharpened them up a bit before using.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones View Post
    I am surprised that Lee Valley and Tools for working Wood do not carry any dividers that are for joinery. I see the Starretts at LN and CS. Are there any other good options out there? I don't want to spend a bunch and I don't want to go to ebay for a precision instrument. Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks!
    Starrett makes dozens of different models of dividers. We can custom order anything they make for you - takes about a week - not a big deal we do it all them time.

joel
    tools for working wood
    Last edited by Joel Moskowitz; 01-20-2011 at 11:14 PM. Reason: add company name

Woodcraft has a caliper and divider set on sale for half price right now. I don't know anything about them.

Thanks Joel, I will check that out.

Craftsman Studio has the 6" Starrett for $44 (free shipping if the order is $75 or more) -- Lee Valley has 8" made in France for about 1/2 the price. I have some from the local art store that work OK but I should have held out for something better!

8. There is a set of dividers that I got at Harbor Freight that had a ring for a pencil that I was able to pry off easily (cheap weld) and it turned into a very nice sturdy compass/dividers that I use for laying out carving patterns like Peter Follansbee. It was very inexpensive, and the dividers are quite sturdy and decently made for the price.

I have several sets I bought most @eBay
    http://business.shop.ebay.com/i.html....c0.m270.l1313

I bought a lot of tools as a machinist and always listened to the Jurneymen and bought USA B&S or Starrett and not I see the prices for these I could not help buy stock up..
    Just make sure they are like new and shiny and I like the round legs better than the flat..

This type here is the round legs

PS: this is not a precision instrument it is a about as simple as tools get..
    PPS: let me add I do understand what your talking about but I guess after splitting frog hairs for years my idea of presision might be different than the norm...
    Last edited by Johnny Kleso; 01-21-2011 at 7:09 PM.
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

I like the Browne and Sharpe from amazon at 16 for the 6 inch. I also ordered the Mitutoyo At 15 which are fine but don't seem as nice to me.

Enco has 4" and 6" dividers (import) quite cheap. I've bought a couple and other than needing their points filed sharp, the were well worth the $4 each I paid for them. Picked them up during a free-shipping offer when I also ordered a granite plate for cheap.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Blog Entries
    Search ebay for > drafting set < there are a lot of good ones available cheap.

Most of the sets usually had at least 2 pair of dividers and some had spare parts to convert the pencil lead compasses to dividers.

Some of the parts may not be something you can use as is, but the old inking compasses could be modified into an extra pair of dividers. It will likely cost less than what a new pair of dividers will run you.

I used to buy them at flea markets. I have a few around with no idea where they are.

I also have a bunch of dividers that have been accumulated over the years.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If you don't need them very big, drafting sets are a good source. I prefer to change out a lead for a second point and use a compass. I like having the stability of the screw adjuster to retain the settings. I have a Staedler set from college that has a quick adjustable compass and an extension arm. The quick adjust sure is a nice luxury.

Echo two opinions on here:
    1) buy them used, but a big mixed lot of them with other machinist tools if you can and you think you'll have use for calipers, etc, in the future.
    2) if you don't have the patience for that, check drafting supply or buy off brand ones - as long as they stay set and have points, they are fine.

This is one of those cases where knowing your application, I would say that practically anything will work so long as they're not broken to the point of flexing, Even if the points were broken off, you could simply file new points. All you're ever going to do with them is march off dovetails, or possibly use them one day to get evenly spaced hole. Very simple operations.

The one thing I would suggest, though, is get a set with a split collet for the adjustment mechanism. That will allow you to quickly set them approximately where you need to be, and then fine tune it with the knob. It's a creature comfort that makes all the difference in the world if you use them a lot.