Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 18" Maple platter.

Smile 18" Maple platter.

Been busy with all kind of things besides moving snow , but between this that and the other thing, got at least this platter finished.

Manitoba Maple with some spalting. curl and color, about 18" X 2".

Any and all comments are welcome as always

MM platter.jpg MM platter bottom.jpg
    Have fun and take care

2. great form on this Leo!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very nice Leo, thanks for posting! Up to now I have only made small little saucers, but I'm gonna try some larger chunks soon!

That's fine looking! I like the simple, clean look and lines.

Leo, Very nice and simple, great center piece material or wall hanging. The figure is nice and the little bit of spalting is just right.

Nice job,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Wonderful piece Leo. I especially like the rim and foot treatment. The wood is beautiful and the form is very pleasing.

Marc Himes

Nice platter, has a nice form to it and quite a large platter, 18", wow, thats huge.

Good job, you solved the issue of making a platter without it looking too thin. Very nice edge treatment.

Super plater Leo! The rim treatment really catches my eye. I think the foot is a little busy, but just MHO. I can only dream about 18", but soon......
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

That is a beauty Leo. Like the form and the rim.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

very nice, Leo

Some good looking maple and plenty of it. I really like the rim & bottom details.

Very nice looking platter, Leo. I sure wish I could get nice Manitoba Maple (Box Elder) around here. Every piece I've gotten that wasn't burl was as plain as white paint. That one has a little of everything in it.

Another wonderful turning Leo! Really like the subtle raised lip! Great looking wood with just enough spalt and curl to make it interesting! Once again - a very clean turning in that you created just enough detail to highlight different portions of the platter! Great example of less is more! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Really like the wood. I like the visual presentation of the top and bottom, but I wonder how much mass is in the platter. It looks like it has a lot of wood out in the rim area with the flat rim area and straight taper from bottom to edge and it makes me curious. This is a curious comment and not critical - I like the platter. Where did you find the wood and was it kiln dried to start?