Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Said glass does not look good laser engraved!

Who Said glass does not look good laser engraved!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Reversed image through the color and slight frost to the glass.
    Bill Richardson
    ULS V3.60 50w

How large is that piece? It does look great by the way.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Did anyone say that glass doesn't look good laser engraved?
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    I do. I've seen tons of samples. Not once have I been impressed. There is always some chipping. Comparing it to sandblasting, it doesn't even come close.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Okay then. Apart from Ross.

Blog Entries
    Ross isn't the only one I've seen mention it. I'll agree that there's a different look to it, but when properly done it looks great (and without the chipping Ross mentions). I think the chipped stuff is what gives it a bad rep.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Any true photo buffs here?

Someone take a 6"x12" piece of glass and engrave something on half of it. I'll happily sandblast the other half with the exact same image. Send it out to a photo buff and they can take the pictures. Obviously we'd need super zoomed in photos as from 12" away, everything looks kosher. It's up close where I think laser engraved glass isn't up to snuff.

I also want to make one other point: The consistency of engraving glass is the real issue. You could do 10 pieces and have no chipping but then do 2-3 others and get chipping. I've done some "acceptable" glass on the laser, but the next time I go to do a glass project it's a mess. The consistency is rarely there which makes it a very difficult material to work with. This obviously has to do with every glass being formulated slightly different.
    Last edited by Ross Moshinsky; 01-25-2011 at 10:36 AM.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20

I'm usually not that nice when referring to lasered glass...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    Obviously we'd need super zoomed in photos as from 12" away, everything looks kosher. It's up close where I think laser engraved glass isn't up to snuff.
    Who views images 3" from their face? If I zoomed in enough to see the atomic structure, everything would look like crap. When I pick something up to look at it, it's probably 12" from my face, and I only "zoom in" when I'm specifically looking for differences between two methods. I don't care either way, but if you want a reasonably fair comparison between two methods, it makes sense to view them as you normally would, not with a microscope.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.
    Bill, some details, please. What is the object, how big is it, what is the blue color?
    Thanks,
    Tom Bull
    Epilog Legend, x3,X5, photograv, 30 year collection of misc. tools of all kinds.

Dan, I 100% disagree with you. A craftsman wants everything to look good from all viewing distances. When you first receive anything engraved, you take a close examination to make sure things are spelled correctly and to read the inscription. This can mean viewing from a close distance. If you engrave a beer or wine glass, when someone is taking a close look at the color or smelling it they will view your engraving from a distance. I'm not sure I could look a customer in the face and say, "oh well just don't view it from that close." Imagine if finish carpenters took the same view at things. "Oh, the molding looks good from across the room. Only when you're up close can you see the gaps". How about a painter? "Oh, it looks good as long as you don't shine a light on the wall. Just keep the room dim and no one will notice I didn't put enough paint down."

This is where the laser as ruined engraving in some regards. In rotary engraving everything is a vector interpretation. It's always clear and crisp. Viewing from 3" or 12". That is the same way I look at laser engraving. Sure, I could engrave everything at 300dpi and it would save me a ton of time but I know that when I look closely, it's just not good enough. I also know 500dpi and 1000dpi showed no appreciable difference under a jewelers loop. So I engrave at 500dpi 99% of the time.

I'm another who prefers the look of sandblasted glass to laser engraving.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I'll use an analogy as both processes are different and give different results.

Take guitars for instant, you can have a nylon classical style, a solid body electric or
    a steel string acoustic. They all are guitars and the each will (may ;-) produce
    music, but they have their intended use as well, and as what can be expected from them.

Lasering glass is fine for many items and just won't cut it for others.

How many sand etchers charge the same price to engrave say a wine bottle as a laser etcher would.
    Sometimes clients still want something similar but won't pay additional cost. Just as long as they
    understand the difference.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Awesome bill that looks good, I did a 24 x 36 inch glass family photo come out good
    Dean Fowell

Support Engineer
    Cad Cam Solutions

Georgia USA Previously Down Under
    Corel, Inkscape, Solidworks, Solid Edge, Lasercut 5.3, PhotoGrave 3.0 Radan, Tool Shop Cad Cam, AutoCad 2013, Radan Cad Cam , Visiual Macro
    FLC1490 80 watt, Shopbot

Okay then, anyone apart from Ross, Dan (who's almost on the fence), Gary and Mike?