Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Woodworking Forums

I enjoy reading through the Shopsmith forum. If you stop thinking of the Shopsmith as a tablesaw, drill press, lathe etc...and think of it as a universal woodworking jig you would start to see the usefulness of the tool. Some shopsmith owners come up with some interesting jigs.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Wood central. tends to be more experience in the average post there, and the environment is civil. I am persona non grata at woodnet, but it's not a big deal. It is more of a beginners forum than this one, and the same questions get asked over and over there.

I personally don't think the basement on WN is that bad, but then again, i"m not offended by a lot other than retailers with high prices on cheap goods and constant coupon schemes.

As a newbie, I searched for all the forums I could find and have tried to keep current with most. I am not active on all, but still drive by from time to time. I stay pretty active on 3-4.

In addition to SMC:
    FamilyWoodwoking
    NC Woodworker
    WOW
    Woodworking Talk
    Lumberjocks
    WoodCentral
    Lumberworks (sawmilling)
    AAW

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Gilmer View Post
    I kinda like woodworkingtalk. Especially for lots of knowledgeable folks in the area of wood drying/rough milling.
    Me too. I like that Australian site too because they do alot of boxes and their typing accent looks funny.
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

I like

Knots
    WoodNet
    Lumberjocks
    The Burl

The Burl is pretty new so if anyone can't find it, just google The Burl Forum.

Forums that have a lot of pros are usually the most educational and informative. I seek ones that fit the bill.

I get a page redirect everytime I try theburlforum.com Also, tried the delphi link as well with the same result. Are they down?

7. I try to avoid saying one is better than another. I visit some more frequently because the discussions there are more interesting TO ME. The discussions deal with what I am most involved with. There are aspects with all of the forums here mentioned that I like. I frequent the Shopsmith forum more than others because I have a shop built around of that equipment. I accumulated my gear while I was active duty military, moving from here to there on a frequent basis. I could not have a shop full of old iron. Now, I am addicted to my Shopsmith.

Hard to rank them, kind of depends on who has most lately posted something really great...or really stupid <g>. But on my hot bar I have links for: SMC, LumberJocks, Woodnet, and FWW. I like the blogs so I regularly surf over to PWW (need to add that to my bar)

Blog Entries
    I agree that forums have a personality. SMC was where folks came to escape the threads filled with posts of folks randomly giving unsupported commentary, foul language and in-fighting. As we have grown, we see more of that sort of thing trying to worm its way in here. Thanks to the under-appreciated mods for their efforts. I belong to other forums but only really visit one other with any regularity. It is small with much less activity as a byproduct of the population but, it is civil, filled with talented woodworkers and primarily discusses the craft. There are some notable others (that I am sure we are all familiar with) which are more of a drunken monster truck rally with occasional demonstrations of woodworking; I'll pass
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Just here and about 20 individual blogs is more than enough to keep me out of the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    Just here and about 20 individual blogs is more than enough to keep me out of the shop.
    You know, there is a pretty good point. If I didn't sit in front of a computer all day programming and have lots of idle time during regression testing, I probably wouldn't read any forums unless I had a problem.

Woodworkingtalk, Woodnet, BT3, Wood Mag, and Lumberjocks among others.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....