Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Salvaged D8

Salvaged D8

Most of my spare time has gone into remodeling the shop for the past several months. I have a thread over in the workshop forum on that little all-consuming project. This summer I became interested in handtools. I've restored several planes, bought some bench chisels as well as few mortise chisels. A few weeks ago, I picked up a couple of old backsaws from a fellow creeker. Shortly after they arrived, I noticed this old rusty saw in one of the outbuildings on the property. It looked beyond repair, but I thought, other than a few hours of time, what do I have to lose? I cleaned the handle and gave it a few coats of paste wax. The blade was treated to various scrapers, and grits of wet/dry sandpaper. While its far from perfect, the price was right. Once I get the shop back in order, I hope to build a workbench. This saw might see some action on that project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good find, You will love it I am sure. nice job
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Yes,a good find. Certainly better than Marv's finds.

Nice! Looks like it's got plenty of life left in it too, and with a finer finish tooth count (9 - 10 TPI?). I've found those are less common in a full hand saw size.

Hi Joe,

Good job on reconditioning that old guy. It's quite surprising sometimes what's beneath all that rust and grime. Will you be filing it?

Catchyalater,
    Marv

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better."

~Maya Angelou~

Will you be filing it?
    I think you'll be surprised at how useful this saw will be especially after undertaking the filing proccess. It looks like a great saw and believe it would really benefit from a good sharpening.

Joe,

In contrast to your find, here is one of mine. I have to say, the ergonomics is a bit lacking. George is right, yours is certainly better.

Custom handle 2PPI.jpg
    The only thing I can think of to do with this is to make it my Avatar.

Catchyalater,
    Marv

~Maya Angelou~

Another amazing chicken house saw find,Marv!!! Or,is it a rotting rain barrel full of water saw find???

When you find old saws like that, I would take the ones that have pitting on them like that one and turn them into rip saws. Pitting is a real downer on a crosscut saw. Not that they won't work, but it affects a rip saw a lot less (i am making my comments based on the assumption that it is about an 8 pt crosscut).

Sometimes, though, the rusty ones are so cheap it is hard to resist, because they are worth more as possible stock for a frame saw with free spare nuts than they are to let them keep rotting away.

Well done on the save.

Sometimes they get so rusty,when you scrub the rust off of them,you find that you have scrubbed a hole right through them!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marv Werner View Post
    Joe,

In contrast to your find, here is one of mine. I have to say, the ergonomics is a bit lacking. George is right, yours is certainly better.

Custom handle 2PPI.jpg
    The only thing I can think of to do with this is to make it my Avatar.
    Nothing wrong with that handle! In the fireams world we refer to that as a "bull pup" grip. Perhaps you should have a restrcited hand tool license though...

Chris,you are only half right, it's a bull-something grip!!

NOT referring to Joe's saw.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-23-2011 at 2:09 PM.

That's a nice looking saw Joe!
    Using old tools that I've rescued from the brink is much more satisfying to me than using new tools.
    Enjoy It!
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    you find that you have scrubbed a hole right through them!!
    in that case, I'd file the hole cleanly around the edges, and put it on ebay and say "SUPER RARE Disston Saw with Hole!!!!" on the auction.

Hi Joe,

Looking at your saw a little more closely, there is something puzzling about it. The top isn't shaped like a D8. It's more like a No.7, but it doesn't have a lamb's tongue like a No.7 or D-7. The blade just below the handle is curved inward like a D8, where as a No.7 is curved outward. Is it a cover top? In other words can you see the edge of the blade showing through on the top? It appears to be a "let-in" handle as all D8,s are. The grip hole looks to be smaller than a D8. It has 5 screws, but a No.7 has 4 screws. It's the shape of the top that is the most puzzling.

Catchyalater,
    Marv

~Maya Angelou~