Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottle stopper----?????

Bottle stopper----?????

I need some thoughts about Bottle Stoppers. I have been thinking about making some for resale but really have no ideal where to go with pricing. I am thinking Stainless Steel kits.
    Anyone here sell the finished product ????
    Thanks
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I use the Ruth Niles stoppers and I have been selling them in the low $20's. The stainless steel stoppers are not inexpensive, but they work and l like the looks of them. With regards to pricing, it all depends on where you are selling and what people are willing to pay.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Greg Just; 01-23-2011 at 6:02 PM. Reason: typo

I would think average is $15-$25+ depending.
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

To take what Greg said one step further
    it depends on what is on it for the knob
    wood laying around can be one price and custom acrylic is more
    but his price is right on
    Ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

Hummm------ I may have to rethink this-----after buying the hardware plus the value of the blank a $20.00 is kinda lite.

We have a local shop that allows you to make your own wine, or they will custom make a blend for you. I sell to them and have a small display that generates about 10-12 sales a month, sometimes 20. They all sell for $40.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I've gotten $20-25 on the few that I've sold. There's not much margin after raw materials, but they really don't take any time at all to make.

Ok----that might work if I sell them at a price range from $20 to $40 bucks----figure most will be the cheaper ones.
    Anyone got a pic of a few of their stoppers-------- give me some ideal of forms to think about.

Heck those look great to me------remember I have never turned even one bottle stopper so pics are going to help a bunch----thanks for taking the time to post your pic.

Here are the first few I have done.
    Rosewood and curly ash. I used some gemstones and an antique enameled silver watch back (the rest of the watch was ruined) for tops.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Change One Thing

I've only made a few as gifts so I can't help with pricing, but I would think that $25-$30 for exotic woods if you are selling retail. Here's a couple that I did out of palm and cocobolo w/ mother of pearl inlays for some ideas.

standard.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    We have a local shop that allows you to make your own wine, or they will custom make a blend for you. I sell to them and have a small display that generates about 10-12 sales a month, sometimes 20. They all sell for $40.

i think people around would think I was crazy asking 40$ but around 20-25 should be ok.just have to shop around for wood to get the best price..

I have made a lot of stoppers and use them as gifts for friends and relatives. I have never sold one. I've used a lot of Ruth's SS stoppers and have found they don't fit all wine bottles. Most I make are the teflon and cork stoppers. They are cheap to make and I use up my scraps so I can afford to give them away. I found out early on not to put a point on the top since most people are used to using their palm to seat the stopper which can be painful! Ruth has a lot of examples on her website: http://torne-lignum.com/Finished_Designs.htm
    A turning a day keeps the doctor away.

Thanks Ron----- I needed to check out her prices also.