Thread: Delta 18-900L Drill Press

Delta 18-900L Drill Press

I'm researching drill presses and strongly considering the 18-900L. Since it has been on the market for a number of months, I would like to poll owners of this press for reviews related to quality, fit and finish, runout, etc. Any information would be appreciated.

Ned, I had a Delta 959L and decided to get a different drill press for various reasons. (Last one in my life time I hope) I had heard a lot of good about the PM 1800" press so I bought it. I was not thrilled with the operation and other factors of it. See recent post. So I sold it and bought a Delta 18-900L, after going to a Rockler and playing with one. The 18-900L was smoother, quieter, and had a longer quill stroke than either the PM or the 959L. Unlike the 959L the laser is built in as well. I prefer the idler pulley to the reeves drive of the PM. The Delta also has a lower bottom speed than the PM. 400 vs 200 if I remember correctly. One of the things I did not notice until I got it home was that the column height adjustment track was pre installed and designed to float between two adjustable rings. As a result the table seems to rotate more easily. Minor yes, but a plus in my book. The only thing I would change is the size of the table. It's too bad they didn't keep the same table as was on the 20" version, no longer made. All other things being equal this is a wood working drill press not a metal working press. But I would indeed recommend this drill press over the other two I mentioned. Some people really like the PM1800, however. Good luck with your choice.

The 18-900L looks like a fine press, I have played with several of them. I wish it came with a 3 phse option, I would love to slap a VFD on one but the idea of having to buy a motor too kinda kills that for me.

Actually I like things better about the PM1800 but it is more fun features rather than true practicality. I wanna buy both put them in a room with some Barry White playing and raise and sell their babies, maybe breed the second generation with a Steel City for a split head. There just isn't a sub 1K DP that rings all the bells for me. If I can find one before I "have" to buy I may get a 3 phase Powermatic 1150 (non VS) and add a VFD, adding a tach also would make it "perfect" for me.

Just a bump to the top to see if any other 18-900L owners have input.

If you're still looking, the Wood Nerd just published a pretty extensive review of that drill press.

http://www.thewoodnerd.com/reviews/delta_18-900L.html

Blog Entries
    *** Just for clarity, doesn't alter the conversation ***

I think you guys mean the PM2800, the PM1800 is a bandsaw(?).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm still waiting for someone to spring the coin for one of these... and tell us about it.

http://www.general.ca/site_general/g...er/75-700.html

Hello Ned, I did indeed just purchase the 18-900L about two weeks ago. In fact, I started a thread here on it. Have not used it much yet, but it is indeed extremely well built and very quiet which surprised me for a big machine. I had hoped it would come in both 120v and 220volt but it is only in the 120 volt. However it only draws 8 amps which is super as I suspected that type would command 15 amps. This is the only drill press that I will ever need and strongly believe that I made the correct choice. This thing is an animal. You won't be dissappointed.

Gregory,

The Wood Nerd review mentioned a defect or design flaw in which the quill feed doesn't return to the top automatically. I checked out this machine at a local vendor and the floor model had the same issue. It's like the spring assembly doesn't have the strength to return the quill all the way to the top. Have you had this experience with your drill press?

The spring tension is adjustable. I didn't need to adjust mine.

Vic

Ned, no problem on mine either. Adjustment is there if needed. One thing of note in relation to a belt change. Mine came as I suspect most do, with the belt on the lowest RPM setting. I timed a belt change to the 500 rpm setting which took only 30 secs from the time to open the top cover and close it again. That idler lock works super.

No problems with my quill either. Just wish that table was a little wider and deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Senburn View Post
    If you're still looking, the Wood Nerd just published a pretty extensive review of that drill press.
    That's a good solid review. There's another here which give more info on the Delta 18-900L

Blog Entries
    Ugh, I hate sites like the one Hank linked to... they claim to be "review" sites, but in reality they're nothing more than false hotlinks that redirect you to places like Amazon. The web-bot aggregators copy text (and rarely actual reviews) from other sites, but they never give you anything new or useful... just a tool to put change in someone's pocket.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Ugh, I hate sites like the one Hank linked to... they claim to be "review" sites, but in reality they're nothing more than false hotlinks that redirect you to places like Amazon. The web-bot aggregators copy text (and rarely actual reviews) from other sites, but they never give you anything new or useful... just a tool to put change in someone's pocket.
    Mmmm, didn't want to upset anyone with the link. I know the type of site you mean -they basically rip content straight from Amazon (word for word) and have a fat red BUY NOW button in the text, pretty much cluttering up the internet with cr#p.
    This site didn't seem to fit that mold as it has proper content.