Thread: Plumbing Question, Toilet Tank

Plumbing Question, Toilet Tank

I have a toilet tank that has a hairline crack. Didn't know this for quite a while as it is the kids bathroom. It is a very slow leak, like a cup or so a week. Didn't want to replace the whole thing but the toilet is a odd ball brand, it's a Gerber. Will any tank fit any toilet? Are they a standard size? It's just a simple 1.6 gal with a ball type float. If I do have to replace the whole thing I'll probably go with the taller type for the powder room down stairs and put that tank on the toilet in the kids bathroom. Any recommendations on a brand of toilet to get/not get?

thanks, Pete

tank repair

Pete, the best and the easy way to correct this problem was taught to me by an old time plumber, there is on water pressure on the tank. Here is the repair, Drain the tank and besure that it is dry, take some roofing cement and apply it ovet the crack, let it set for an hour and they refill the tank and you will find that your leak is gone// I fixed mine and 15 years later it is still working.. Ken Toupin

Peter
    I have patched tanks in the past with silicone on the inside. You should empty the tank and completely dry and clean the area of the crack. apply a generous bead of silicone and let dry for 24 hrs .
    Hope this helps.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

The Gerber brand is not really oddball, it's just you probably won't see it at any of the big boxes. We had one installed in 1998 and it worked fine. I just had it replaced in 2004, not because it was bad, but because we wanted a "handicapped" toilet. I am trying to prepare our house for "older" age while we can still afford it.

My local plumber, whom I trust, installed a "Toto" brand toilet. Fantastic toilet. I have removed the plunger from the bathroom.

I don't know all the conditions you are under, but maybe a "handicapped" toilet for your bath, moving your current toilet to the other bath.

Think about the "handicapped" toilet. It is so much easier as we get older.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

I thought about using silicone or even epoxy on the crack. Guess I may as well try it first. Anyone recommend a silicone to try on it? My kids are just visitors right now, neither is committed to staying out yet so I'll have some time to try it. One is working at the shore fixing boats and the other is in the Navy (never been on a boat/ship), go figure. Thanks for the reply folks.

Pete

Peter....I'm taking a chance by telling you this. There are current SMC members that are or have been members of the Navy. I served 8 years and 8 days .....I was an E-6 and had been in 7 years and 4 months before I saw or served on a ship. I got stationed on a sub tender? (There are those who'll argue a sub-tender isn't a real ship but ......) I spent a total of 8 days at sea. In December of 2001, my youngest son, a ship's company officer aboard the aircraft carrier the USS Carl Vinson, and I began "coded" emails. I gave my wife a one-way airline ticket to Pearl Harbor for Christmas. She flew to Pearl Harbor in early January 2002 and rode the Carl Vinson back to San Diego and on to Bremerton, WA. It was a 10 day trip and she came home bragging she had more time at sea on a Navy vessel than I did! My oldest son came to my rescue by reminding my wife that I sailed for 3 days on the Carl Vinson and that 8 + 3 = 11 and therefore I did have one more day at sea than she! Whew!......
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have a Gerber toilet which had a minor problem. I e-mailed the company about it and they sent me parts for free to fix it. Sometimes they are a little slow, but they solved my problem for free.

Stefan

8. I hesitate to offer opinions but here goes - I have replaced many toilets in rental properties I own and the new ones all work great. My favorites are the cheapest, as long as they are low flow (which all new ones are). I have no calls about stoppage. The big stores all have $44 model that are made in Mexico or China (go figure not even toilets are American unless you spend $300). So, if water is an issue I would get a new entire toilet, if you want a quick fix use the roof cement - the kind that works on wet surfaces. Or put the $5 bucks toward a $44 new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Peter....I'm taking a chance by telling you this. There are current SMC members that are or have been members of the Navy. I served 8 years and 8 days .....I was an E-6 and had been in 7 years and 4 months before I saw or served on a ship. I got stationed on a sub tender? (There are those who'll argue a sub-tender isn't a real ship but ......) I spent a total of 8 days at sea. In December of 2001, my youngest son, a ship's company officer aboard the aircraft carrier the USS Carl Vinson, and I began "coded" emails. I gave my wife a one-way airline ticket to Pearl Harbor for Christmas. She flew to Pearl Harbor in early January 2002 and rode the Carl Vinson back to San Diego and on to Bremerton, WA. It was a 10 day trip and she came home bragging she had more time at sea on a Navy vessel than I did! My oldest son came to my rescue by reminding my wife that I sailed for 3 days on the Carl Vinson and that 8 + 3 = 11 and therefore I did have one more day at sea than she! Whew!......
    Ken,

My daughter is in a land based job. Right now she is in Canada. Doubt she'll see any time at sea but you never know. One of her assignments this summer is to go to the North Pole for 3 months. Looks like she'll miss half of the summer.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Antwarg
    I have a Gerber toilet which had a minor problem. I e-mailed the company about it and they sent me parts for free to fix it. Sometimes they are a little slow, but they solved my problem for free.

Stefan
    Stefan,

House and toilet are 4 years old, didn't know there was a problem until about a year ago. Have a cup under the drip right now and empty it every week or so. The boss wants it fixed or replaced.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Loughman
    I hesitate to offer opinions but here goes - I have replaced many toilets in rental properties I own and the new ones all work great. My favorites are the cheapest, as long as they are low flow (which all new ones are). I have no calls about stoppage. The big stores all have $44 model that are made in Mexico or China (go figure not even toilets are American unless you spend $300). So, if water is an issue I would get a new entire toilet, if you want a quick fix use the roof cement - the kind that works on wet surfaces. Or put the $5 bucks toward a $44 new one.
    Edward,

Looks like I'll try the repair. But if I do go with a new one I probably get a big box special.

Pete

12. FYI, the tank probably cracked at bolt holes if I were to guess, so lather on a lot of tar. Anyone leaning back hard will bust it out eventually. Thats why I just toss them and get new ones since the parts add up to darn near the cost of a cheap new one. Do not tell your wife how cheap the new one is and she'll think its an American Standard at $250. Unless you get a designer type they all look pretty much the same.