Thread: US GPS in Europe

Blog Entries

US GPS in Europe

I know I will need a new set of maps for my GPS if I take it to England, but will I be able to plug the GPS into the convenience outlet (cigar lighter) in a European made auto? I know I will need an adapter to use the plug in the hotel.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

No problem with the accesories working in a UK automobile power jacks, they are the same as what we have in the states. Household current is 220v over there. Most chargers; cell phone, GPS, lap-top etc are dual voltage, so you won't need a voltage converter, just a power block so you can plug your US toys into the UK outlet. I have a voltage converter, but it really turned out to be a waste of weight in my suitcase. It was easier to buy a beard trimmer for me and a hair drier for the wife at the local Asda or Tesco (think Wal*Mart and K-Mart). Only accessory we had that required 110volts were the kids Nintendo DS chargers. Luckily where we were staying there was a shaver outlet that had 110 and 220 v. (Kind of funny to find a fully clothed child playing pokemon in the bath tub!)

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Ahner View Post
    Most chargers; cell phone, GPS, lap-top etc are dual voltage, so you won't need a voltage converter, just a power block so you can plug your US toys into the UK outlet.
    Make sure you check though. I did a project in the UK several years ago. The specially-configured PC that a vendor shipped had a 120/220 switch on the power supply. Plant IT forgot to switch the switch and *poof*. One of a few reasons why my 2 week work trip turned into a 2 week, all-expenses paid vacation with daily visits to a manufacturing plant.

car cigarette lighters are the same everywhere (as far as I know). I used my Garmin in England in December.

I used my Garmin in Italy and germany - no problem. Same sigaret adapter. You just need a maps.
    Ed.

6. Lee

Dependin how much new maps are you may be just as cheap buying a GPS in the UK. Looking at the Asda website and some others they are available for 50 GBP which is 80 dollars.

Just a thought

Graham

Leave the GPS at home. Being lost in England is half the fun!
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Being lost in England is half the fun!
    It must be amazing experience.

If you aren't where you were going in England, you're probably somewhere just as good. lol Some of our fondest vacation memories are on a road accidently taken or in a village accidently arrived at.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson