Thread: Are these Gast Pumps priced reasonably?

Are these Gast Pumps priced reasonably?

Here is how the post in Craigslist reads:

(1) Gast pump, Oil less, Ceramic Vanes, 1/2 HP, 1/4" inlet, 110 volt $85.00. (2) Gast pump, Oil less, Ceramic Vanes, 3/4 HP, 3/8" inlet, 110 volt $125.00.

I really haven't decided if I can't live without a vacuum system yet, however, if the pumps are a great deal that I need to jump on then perhaps the time has come. I've read up a bit on the systems but don't know enough about the pumps to make an informed decision.

Your recommendations please.

Thanks,
    Tim

Tim, I can't speak to the Gast pumps. But, as to vacuum systems - they will increase the pleasure factor of turning substantially. I highly recommend one.

I actually traded for a Holdfast vacuum system with another creeker, and I love it. It is portable (whole thing can be held in one hand) and I keep it in a cabinet when not in use. It works off my compressor, so once or twice a minute, the compressor will kick on. But, it really just takes a few minutes to finish off the bottom of a piece anyway. I can pull up to 25" with mine - depending on the piece. I also like their chuck - I have the 3". Just a thought. Compact, reasonable cost, and low tech! Most of all, I didn't have to build it. But, some folks like to tinker with that stuff, and there have been some beautiful systems built by creekers.

Thought I would throw in a pic. $239 at Amazon.

Tim,
    I bought mine used for $100 and thought it a good deal, certainly a lot less than a new one. Once you start using it you'll wonder how you ever did it without one.

Steve

4. Funny, I was just about to search the archives because of that same craigslist ad.

You may wish to get the model number and check out the pumps specs on the Gast web site which has owner's manuels. With the information in your post both would appear to be able to pull 25 inches of mecury.
    I have had good results with a 1/4 hp, 110 volt which pulls 25 inches and runs cool for a long time. My system works very well on bowls and platters up to 12". lNow that I have a vac pump I could not go back!
    Peter

Tim, before you look at a used Gast you may want to consider this. One of the Creekers just shared this site with me yesterday and I'm impressed. The pump is about double what I paid for mine and about half of the cost of a new Gast of the correct type. I have a Surplus Supply Gast pump and love it but had this been available at the time I did mine I would have gone this way. http://www.jtturningtools.com If you are considering Vacuum then this site is a must IMO.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Thanks for the feedback guys, I've posted the link in the deals section if anyone is interested.

On my Nova DVR I use my shop vac with a vac Coupler. Never had anything to come off using it.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Hey Sid,

I'd like to know more about your set up, any chance you could post a pic of it? Sounds nice and simple, almost to easy.

Thanks,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    On my Nova DVR I use my shop vac with a vac Coupler. Never had anything to come off using it.

Sid

10. I will give +1 to what John K. spoke about the hold fast system. I have both the 6" and 3" chuck heads and they work great. If you have a compressor, then it should be considered. Very simple to operate, and Hold Fast has given me excellent customer service, when I ordered and additional rotary vacuum adapter, and some extra spindle extenders.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Tim this is what I have. Bob Hamilton uses the same with his Nova.
    http://www.teknatool.com/products/Vacuum.htm
    If you want a picture of mine I'll try to get out to the shop tomorrow and take one.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

And here is a video of Bob's setup.
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...FCB8CA2B04E33B
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN