Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EWT Ci3 Easy Hollower + Ci0 Easy Finisher or Mini-Monster hollowing

EWT Ci3 Easy Hollower + Ci0 Easy Finisher or Mini-Monster hollowing

Hi all,

I am starting to like buying tools almost as much as turning... I think I have developed a sickness (I am most likely alone in this ). I want to try my hand at hollow forms now. Bowls are fun but I am ready for another progression. some of these forms on sticks with finial that you all are turning out.

I haven't seen anyone's review of the new EWT Hollowing tool yet... to me it looks like you should start with a Ci0 Easy finisher and progress to the Ci3 swan neck hollower. Now I would probably add a EWT rougher to the collection so the others are not lonely.

or

I can get a mini-monster with a LASER. sounds so so Star Wars to me... love it.

Which would you all go with??? EWT tools or Monster? Captured vs hand held... I would probably find uses for the EWT finisher in other turning but I think the monster would limit it's functionality to hollowing only.

choices... choices. help.... if I watch any more videos on you tube I'm gonna crash their site.

thanks...
    Jon

i would go with the monster..... BUT still use some hand tools love the ROLLY MUNRO's. And depending on entrance would hog out alot with a hook tool... THE VORTEX IS A TWISTER WATCH OUT YOU WILL HAVE ALOT OF TOOLS YOU DON'T USE AND COLLECT DUST....

(but I still like looking at them)

Jon, I have not personally used the Ci3, but I did see a pretty good demo of it. It is a nice tool, and the flat shank makes it more stable on the torque that occurs with hollowing. It did seem a little "catchy". The fellow doing the demo is a production turner - not an artist. So, his technique may be different than yours.

In fairness, I guess I should say I don't have any of the carbide tools - just haven't found the need for them.

I think the concept of an articulated hollowing system or a captured system (I have the articulated Monster) is just a whole different world than are handheld tools. Since getting the Monster, I very rarely use a hand held hollowing tool. The "punishment" of resisting the torque just is not pleasant for me, and with practice, the Monster can be used for every process in doing a HF - virtually no need for a hand held tool. And, it does it with fingertip pressure - not to mention the utility of having the laser.

So, IMO, if you can swing the Monster, I would certainly choose that over any hand held hollowing tool. That said, the Ci3 is probably one of the better hand held tools, though the Rolly Munro sure looks like it would be a very nice tool. And, that head will work on the Monster, as well, from my understanding. I think it has a 3/8" shaft.

Incidentally, I use my Monster for other applications - not just HFs. If you are working on a deep goblet type cut, the Monster works great. I have taken a cutter bar and put a side grind on the left side. It will produce a very nice finish cut on a deep, narrow inside cut - a cut that can be tricky otherwise.

I have the easy rougher, and once you learn it, it is a wonderful addition to the tool rack.

I am buying from Things Western now as they are cheaper and very well made (no affiliation) just passing on some savings.

For any interior work the Monster articulating system is the way to go. I've had mine a month and there is absolutely no regrets. The only downside to the Monster system is waiting for it to arrive, typically 4-5 weeks.

I would go with the monster articulating arm unit hands down. Had mine now for a couple of years and love it. Makes hollowing a joy.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I would also go with the monster. For the money it is one of the most versatile hollowing systems out there. The only problem with EWT hollower is that the flat shank is very wide. If you are trying to do a limited access opening it is not the tool to use because of this. However I did get to play with one and it worked well and the wide flat shank helps the control but is also the limiting factor. I also had the opportunity to play with the little captive unit that JT turning tools sells and it also works well. I have always wanted to try the Rolly Munro bar in a captive rig to see how well it works in that application. In short I think the Monster is the way to go.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Trout; 01-21-2011 at 10:35 AM.

I have the Easy Hollower and find it works great for some applications. It wont go too deep or too wide, but what you can reach with it is left with a very nice surface. There is a learning curve and it can be 'catchy' if you don't use a light touch. I don't have the monster system (yet) but would think it is a lot more versatile and would be the tool of choice if you can only have one. No, you aren't the only one with "the sickness"

Monster...hands down. I'm using mine as we speak.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I combine a monster or elbo style hollower with Easy style carbide insert bits - using a DIY tool holder that plugs into my elbo. You get very effective cutting with excellent control of the tool.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Monster...hands down. I'm using mine as we speak.
    Wow! I am really impressed! Being able to type on a computer key board while hollowing all at once........How do you do that?

Just kidding Jim! I have a monster in the works, and am awaiting its arrival soon, and I am quite sure I will use and post as well!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by bob svoboda View Post
    I have the Easy Hollower and find it works great for some applications. It wont go too deep or too wide, but what you can reach with it is left with a very nice surface. There is a learning curve and it can be 'catchy' if you don't use a light touch. I don't have the monster system (yet) but would think it is a lot more versatile and would be the tool of choice if you can only have one. No, you aren't the only one with "the sickness"
    I also have the easy hollower, along with the easy rougher, finisher and detail tool. They absolutely have their uses (in my opinion, although I'd rather use a bowl gouge any day of the week), and I really like the carbide blades for just inside the neck of whatever you're hollowing. The easy hollower really does take a light touch or it will catch, much more so than the other "easy" tools.

All that being said, though, if you had to take one or the other (and keep in mind I don't have the monster YET), everything I've seen and heard leads me to believe that would be the way to go. Hand-held hollowing is hard and chancy work, whereas the monster system seems to take both of those variables right out of the equation.

As soon as I can justify spending the $$, I'm getting the monster ...

I have and use both of the Monster systems and, my opinion, there's nothing better!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks all for the feedback guys... looks like I better call Randy.

Jon

Sounds like you've got your verdict! I love my monster, but i enjoy hand hollowing too. Can't help you with the Easy tools...