Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Milwaukee 5625 conversion

Milwaukee 5625 conversion

New to the forum!

I'm also registered on several other woodworking forums & I've seen a number of links on other forums directed to this site so I decided to register here also!

I've been looking for information on converting a Milwaukee 5625 into a set-up like the discontinued JessEm/Milwaukee 5626 with a remote power switch & variable speed controller. I have located most of the parts required, But have yet to find the original post that covered the conversion.
    Has anyone here done this conversion? Or does anyone know of a link to the original site?

Well it looks as though I'll have to figure this one out on my own! As I mentioned before I have located all the parts to do the conversion & I may have even found a source for the complete controller used by JessEm. This way I would only have to replace the Electronic Feedback Module & wire in the control box.

I can't help you Doug but welcome to Sawmill. 45 mins. may not be enough time to get the answers you need. I have also found that often there seems to be more responses thru the week than on weekends. I don't know if folks are woodworking on the weekend, or screwing off at work M-F by surfing The Creek!

Doh! He meant 2 days and 45 minutes!
    Welcome Doug! I read your first post with interest, as I'm always interested in talk of the big 3.25HP routers in a table, which ones work best, what lifts, etc... Didn't answer because I don't have any good info for you. However, PatWarner.com recommends just bolting the 5625 upside down to your top for great use, and other places I read recommend just using the triton with no lift. I do recall reading some threads here on 5625 with that conversion, and I just tried to find them for you, but our seach algorithms are not working as I expect after the software upgrade, and I'm not able to target the info for you.
    Good luck though, and welcome!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Walls View Post
    New to the forum!

I'm also registered on several other woodworking forums & I've seen a number of links on other forums directed to this site so I decided to register here also!

I've been looking for information on converting a Milwaukee 5625 into a set-up like the discontinued JessEm/Milwaukee 5626 with a remote power switch & variable speed controller. I have located most of the parts required, But have yet to find the original post that covered the conversion.
    Has anyone here done this conversion? Or does anyone know of a link to the original site?
    I was one (if not the first) to convert one. But, I did mine before the electronics were available from Milwaukee. I had to slowly dig into the potted electronics - not recommended. I'll send you some info by PM if I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I was one (if not the first) to convert one. But, I did mine before the electronics were available from Milwaukee. I had to slowly dig into the potted electronics - not recommended.
    If I had to dissect, cut, or alter the existing electronic module I doubt I would try it!

What I'm planing is just replacing factory parts, Sort of a plug & play type of mod. My plans are to remove the original 5625-20's power switch, And the speed control assembly also called a EFM (Electronic Feedback Module) then replace the EFM with one from a 5626-29 that's wired for a separate “table mounted” controller. The controller it self doesn’t seem to be available as a complete unit, but most of the components are able to be order through Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    I can't help you Doug but welcome to Sawmill. 45 mins. may not be enough time to get the answers you need. I have also found that often there seems to be more responses thru the week than on weekends. I don't know if folks are woodworking on the weekend, or screwing off at work M-F by surfing The Creek!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    No, I actually meant the 45 minutes between his original post and his second post saying he'll need to figure it out on his own. (no responses)
    At least he's getting some info now.

No, I actually meant the 45 minutes between his original post and his second post saying he'll need to figure it out on his own. (no responses)
    Original post on 1/20/11 @ 10:45 PM
    Second post on 1/22/11 @ 11:28 AM
    36 Hours and 43 minutes but who's counting anyway!

I can't help you Doug but welcome to Sawmill.
    Welcome Doug! I read your first post with interest, as I'm always interested in talk of the big 3.25HP routers in a table, which ones work best, what lifts, etc...
    Thanks for the Welcome!
    Just to give everyone an idea of the type of conversion I’m looking for information on, And how I'm planning on doing it. I will attach some diagrams that may clear things up.

What I'm planing is just replacing factory parts, Sort of a plug & play type of mod. My plans are to remove the original Milwaukee 5625-20's power switch & the speed control assembly, also called a EFM (Electronic Feedback Module) then replace the EFM with one from a Milwaukee 5626-29 that's wired for a separate “table mounted” controller. The controller it self (part# 23-37-0175) doesn’t seem to be available as a complete unit, but most of the components are able to be order through Milwaukee.

5625-20 parts list http://www.milwaukeetool.com/CMS/Dia...54-37-0175.pdf
    5626-69 parts list http://www.milwaukeetool.com/CMS/Diagrams/54-37-0250.pdf
    23-37-0175 parts list http://genuinemilwaukee.yolasite.com/resources/54-30-0460.pdf

Original post on 1/20/11 @ 10:45 PM
    Second post on 1/22/11 @ 11:28 AM
    36 Hours and 43 minutes but who's counting anyway!
    Oops! My bad. I hate when I'm stupid.

Hey there Doug....

the original posting regarding this conversion was in WoodNet. A very complete and thorough explanation was offered up. The thread in there has since expired. Something about a 365 day limit. There is another thread still active over in RouterForums.

http://www.routerforums.com/table-mo...ble-setup.html

the 5626 (i believe is the correct #) is back and can be found on the bay for around 400.00.
    Last edited by William Rehak; 03-22-2011 at 7:45 PM.

The controller it self (part# 23-37-0175) doesn’t seem to be available as a complete unit, but most of the components are able to be order through Milwaukee.

5625-20 parts list http://www.milwaukeetool.com/CMS/Dia...54-37-0175.pdf
    5626-69 parts list http://www.milwaukeetool.com/CMS/Diagrams/54-37-0250.pdf
    23-37-0175 parts list http://genuinemilwaukee.yolasite.com/resources/54-30-0460.pdf [/INDENT]
    Here's part of an E-Mail I got back from Mike Schleuse at Milwaukee Tools;
    The 23-35-0175 Control Box and individual service replacement parts are now available for purchase through your local Milwaukee Dealer or by calling our 1- 800- Sawdust line ( 1-800-729-3878) for additional information. mailto:mike.schleuse@milwaukeetool.com

Quote Originally Posted by William Rehak View Post
    the 5626 (i believe is the correct #) is back and can be found on the bay for around 400.00.
    Yea I have seen them on E- Bay also, Not as low as $400.00 though! “ thetoolstore.ca “ in Canada still carries them but their over $500 & shipping to the USA is another $40 - $50 I have been looking around for a reconditioned or used 5625 that I can do the conversion on, I also found out that the complete controller # 23-35-0175 is now available through Milwaukee.

That $$ makes a 1.5 h.p. shaper start to look pretty good.

Yea if you added up all the separate pieces; Router, Table Top, Stand, Fence, Router Lift, Etc. You can easily be over the price of an entry level shaper. Also with a shaper your getting a “True Horsepower” induction ran motor with a lot more torque & is designed to run for extended periods of time. The universal style motors such as used in routers, bench planers, and shop vacuums are designed to run for short periods & are rated by Peak HP or Developed HP which is just a manufactures way of stretch~~~~~~ing the truth.