Hi everyone -
I don't really post much, but I read these boards (nearly) everyday. I had a question that I hoped I could get some advice on.

As a hobbyist, I like to build furniture, and have been doing so for years. A potential next "big job" might be re-doing our horrible, absolutely horrible, kitchen cabinets. I am a bit apprehensive about this for a few reasons:

1. With a few minor exceptions, I have never really worked any case-goods type projects, and even more rarely use plywood. I am sure that I can readily learn, but I am a little trigger-shy about starting such an invasive task without any prerequisite experience. The closest I have come is some raised-panel wainscoting. As a side-question, does anyone make large-scale solid-wood cabinets anymore (ie no plywood)?

2. I tend to take a long time in making things. As my MO, I also tend to over-build everything (draw-bored child's table and chairs, for eg). Therefore, I fear that this project might easily escalate and take many, many months to complete.

3. Building particularities aside, I also have some serious time constraints that limit my shop time (young kids and med school). I worry that this, in addition to point #2 might mean that my wife's kitchen will be dysfunctional for way too long. I might get 1-2 hours/day in the shop and sometimes (partial) weekends.

4. Financial considerations. I long ago realized that making furniture is not a way to save money -- I consider myself lucky if I can build something for only twice what it would cost to buy new. But I love doing it. Up in my neck of the woods, I get 4/4 rough between $2.50 (oak) to about $5 (walnut and cherry). Again, I never bought any, but it seems that furniture grade 3/4 plywood comes to about 80/sheet at hardwood retailers. I like to have quality, and I don't mind paying for it, but there is definitely a limit.

5. Tools: While I probably have the "best shop on the block", it is pretty modest by comparison to some on this board. I have all the regular stuff (TS, BS, lathe, DP, jointer, planer, DC, mortiser, etc). The only area I feel like I have a deficit is my jointer (6", I would love, but cannot afford a 12"). No shaper, and only a 2.25HP router with a table. I usually raise panels on the TS.

Anyways, these are my concerns. For whatever reason, I don't feel the emotional bond to making kitchen cabinets that I feel for other projects. In other words, I am not entirely opposed to buying some. So, my question is, can decent cabinets be made cheaper than buying them? If so, given the constraints above, would this be worth it? In terms of specs, pretty simple solid-wood design (solid meaning no chip/particle board, plywood permissible) with raised doors and decent, but not necessarily top-of-the-line, hardware. I would probably use walnut if I were to build, and a darker stained oak/maple if I were to buy. Also, any advice, along the lines of words-of-wisdom, suggested books, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks -
Jake