Thread: little boxes

little boxes

My two girls needed somewhere to store all there silly bands. I had the rockler box jig and thought I give it a try. The jig worked great. Here are the boxes I made out of cherry the wife pained the designs on them.

Blog Entries
    Great little boxes. The last shot says it all.

Glenn

thanks my little one did not want to get in the picture but they love them

Glenn is right, the smile says it all.
    Ray
    Just trying to learn

The boxes will get lots of use in the future. I can see by the smile on her face that they like them. They look great.

That smile is the best reason to work wood. Congrats.
    Gary

you made someone very happy, and she'll think of that every time she sees the box for years and years--good show!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Boxes are my favorite thing. ¿That Rockler box jig is a good value, que no?
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

I like it. Someone can not remember who just did a review on them. I am in the camp I would rather spen money for a jig than build it since I have very limited shop time I would rather build something other than jigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike McCann View Post
    I like it. Someone can not remember who just did a review on them. I am in the camp I would rather spen money for a jig than build it since I have very limited shop time I would rather build something other than jigs.
    Thank you for taking time to anser. I've managed to acquire a Leigh dovetail jig (love it) and have been wanting a box joint jig. I will have to get me one I reckon.
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

Blog Entries
    Nice looking boxes. The recipient looks pleased so that is the important thing.

One design area you might want to look at in future boxes is to make the top and bottom floating panels inside the side frame pieces. Seasonal wood changes may cause your lids to cup as the lids expand or contract due to moisture changes in the air. You might be able to slow this down with equal coats of finish inside and out, but a floating panel will usually prevent the cupping.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee thanks for the advice. I did not even think about that since the boxes are so small. 3 x 7 inches. The boxes are about 1 year old now and there has not been any problems yet.

thanks
    Mike

Blog Entries
    Fantastic! I love the big smile. That's the best feedback anyone could give. Great job. You're wife has a talent for decorative painting as well. Very creative household! Outstanding thread.

Ben
    My blog: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/blog.php?70802-Ben-Arnott