Thread: Picture frame jig ???

Picture frame jig ???

My Incra 1000 is fighting me. Even if I change it 1/2 degree I find that picture frame pieces are either open on the outside or the inside so I have decided to build a jig. I can understand how that if not perfect ( one side 89 degree and the other 91 degree they will make the 90 degree but how do you regulate the length. Of all the searches I have done none show a stop, and even if they did it would have to show two oppisite stops evenly matched. Evidently I am missing something from my Incra or understanding the jig. Something this simple is eating my lunch.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

Fine woodworking has a video with a jig. As I remember, it angles on one side, then angles with a length stop on the other.

As you found out the key is to make the opposing members the same size in addition to perfect 90* corners. In the past, I have done this without any jigs simply by cutting the two members at the same time by either carpet taping or clamping together depending on the size. This of course works well if you are working mostly with flat profiles that can easily be taped/clamped together. Otherwise you can simply attach a long fence to your miter gage and add a stop block. You probably don't need a complicated jig for this unless you are looking for high volume. I made about 25 frames of all sizes without a jig, just using my miter gauge.