Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lawrence-McFadden.....WAAAAHHHHHHHH

I've bought 10 gal. of the Seagrave L3651 and can report that it is identical to McFadden's formula. The nice thing is that Segrave's is cheaper by about $6/gal!!

Cheers,
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

I would REALLy appreciate tips on HVLP guns. I have a 60 gallon compressor. I would love to try a conversion gun.

Mike

Mike,

It really doesn't matter what gun you use if you're going to wet-sand and buff the finish. I've got 4 or 5 guns: one for trans colors and shading; 1 for solid (opaque) paints; one for gold and other metallics; one for clear and one for touchups (detail). The clearcoating gun is the cheapest of the bunch, high pressure, low volume. Why? Because it atomizes better than HVLP (generally) and I'm going to sand the finish flat, so trying to get the smoothest laydown and flowout from a gun is a rather moot point. YMMV, though.

BTW - I am using a 60 gal. 14 CFM compressor. The CFM rating is the more important specification than capacity.

Cheers,
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

I didn't know you were on here, Jack. I love your work. It's great to see you here.

Yes, mine is 14 CFM. Two reasons for wanting to try HVLP. One is to minimize loss to local environment (sort of overspray). The second is harder to explain. And I have no proof. But, I have suspected for some time that HPLV makes it easier to enhance pores instead of fill them. Yes, I porefill with epoxy, etc. But I would like to see if HVLP can do a better job with sealer coats. I hate epoxy work. If there is a thing to hate about guitar building, it's pore filling.

While I am on it, why is there no non-shrink pore filling substance that goes on like putty, cures clear, scrapes off, and cures without shrinkage???

Water-base acrylics not toxic? Suggest you read the label on the can, they are HIGHLY toxic. I once thought the same and was shooting the stuff without a respirator because I shoot outside, shoot downwind and do a lot of small parts with great frequency. Then I started getting dizzy, loss of balance, loss of vision - even lost the vision in one eye for about ten minutes. Thought I was having a stroke. Took me awhile to equate what was happening to the acrylic. I now have permanent bronchitis.

You do not have to breathe much of that vapor to be seriously affected.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I didn't know you were on here, Jack. I love your work. It's great to see you here.
    Hey John,

Thanks much! I haven't been on this forum for a while, but I thought I'd see what's been going since my last visit. I'll be by now and again.

Cheers,
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars