Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My First Design

Ben,
    I really like your work, the design is great. Above that, your post is a pleasure to read, and thank you for taking the time to document it with some very interesting pics (and blogs!) I'm looking on this new software for some button to click "notify me of posts by Ben Arnott in projects" or something, if I can find it I'll click it!

I've been looking at furniture sites and design for the last year, trying to "figure out" what style I like best. I'm not sure what to call it what I've discovered is my preference, but your design is right in there-- "contemporary shaker-based design with some asian influence and slight organic curves, hinting towards arts and crafts but without all the 'sticks' and tending towards non-oak wood combinations". WHEW. So, KUDOS to a beautiful design, and a highly interesting documentation.

----EDIT---Hey, just read your Blogs, and I'm quite happy to see that I NAILED your design statement So I guess I have been learning something with all this design reading. Shaker and some Nakashima--"shakashima" nice!
    Last edited by Dave MacArthur; 01-23-2011 at 1:52 AM.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Ben,
    Great to hear you were ale to sell it and get a re-order. Be sure to keep working at the design to improve it as you learn. This could be your signature style for a long time to come.

I like the piece. I have built two similiar pieces like that. Mahogany and curly western and mahogany and curly rock maple.One is in my house. So I like your design, that cove underneath is a nice touch. I agree on other posters, keep top one specie.
    Good work.

I am really groovin on those legs. Good job. Great action photos too.
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

Real nice work Ben. That is a sweet piece of furniture.

Very nice work. Impressive design. I like the wide stance at the bottom of the legs. It gives it that solidly hand built look that I like...

7. Outstanding Ben! Beautiful design and wood selection. Thanks for the progress pics too!

Pete

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. I haven't built enough to be real confident in my work yet, so its great to hear from people who know what to build a piece of furniture entails. There's a lot of thought, heart and soul that goes into it. Thanks for the kind comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the progress blog too. I think I started it out of procrastination, but its been fun so far. I plan to finish it in the next two or three installments. Its actually taught me a lot about my own project. Maybe its kind of a postmortem dialogue that's been helpful to suss out the things I could have done better.
    My blog: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/blog.php?70802-Ben-Arnott

this is a dropdead gorgeous piece. congrats. (Ive built one very similar, same size and style, but did not match up the woods and your legs add alot to the piece)

Im a firm believer that furniture is meant to be used. when you can mix the practical side with the beauty/craftmanship side, you have hit a homerun.
    Last edited by allen levine; 01-25-2011 at 8:57 PM.

Ben, that's a great design and an outstanding build. Although I tend towards period furniture, I really like those legs and the overall look. It's contemporary without being wild. Well done.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

This post is about two weeks old...and I missed seeing it. My loss, as this is great workmanship. I'm glad you joined SMC, and I'm glad you shared your work. It's inspiring.

I hope you continue to share your work within our community. Well done.

Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Cody and Jeff! I appreciate the kind comments. Thanks for looking.
    My blog: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/blog.php?70802-Ben-Arnott

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Arnott View Post
    Thanks Donny! If you're interested in incorporating hand planes into your woodworking, I would recommend Hand Plane Essentials by Christopher Schwarz. It covers all aspects of getting into hand planes, from choosing your first plane, tuning them and actually using them for best results. You can't beat a hand planed surface. Great book. http://www.shopwoodworking.com/produ...ne-essentials/
    Ben,
    Thanks for the tip on the book. I'm 69 years old and still haven't figured out how to use a hand plane. I bought the book! Oh, and beautiful work. Glad you're having success selling them.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Congratulations on your sales! I'm impressed by your design - well done, sir. It's a fine piece.

Superb design, wood choice and execution. That's an outstanding piece. Thanks for sharing.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps