Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My First Design

Blog Entries

My First Design

Hello Everyone,

I just recently joined this forum and wanted to contribute my most recent project. This is my third piece of furniture. I kinda bit off more than I initially expected, but learned a lot through the process. It was very enjoyable.

All the joinery is mortise and tenon, tongue and groove, and its all hardwood (Cherry, Curly Cherry, Maple and Curly Maple).

All surfaces are hand planed scraped with a card scraper.

I finished it with 2 coats of shellac, and 3 coats of oil urethane.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Some progress pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I like it.

Ben that is exceptional work. I like the design and the choice of lumber. The flare on the legs give it a feeling of strength. Thanks for posting.
    Fred

Very nice, like the curved corner post/legs and Welcome to the Creek!!!

Very Impressive! I also really like the legs and the lumber. Its not something you usually see in the furniture stores. I would be proud to have that in my living room.
    "The key to patience is doing something else."

Outstanding!

Beautiful design with a nice selection of wood.
    Rick Mellin

Very well designed and executed! I like the smooth transition of the reverse cove on the underside of the top to the flare of the legs--well done! It has to be the perspective of the photo but it appears at the front of the laminated top, the seam between the first and second board looks curved.

What type of hinges did you use? This isn't a criticism but did you consider wider bottom rails (vs. the top rails) for the doors? Congrats!

Very nice Ben, I'm also a fan of the flared legs.

Blog Entries
    Thank you everyone! I put the cabinet up for sale on line this morning. To my surprise, I sold it and got one order for another one within the first hour. There have been more than a few lean days since starting this project. I'm out of work, and this piece would be my first piece on spec. I had my doubts whether anyone would want to buy it. But, like everyone else, the enjoyment is why I do it. I love working with wood. Sometimes I can't sleep at night, because I'm thinking about some challenge I get to tackle the next day.

Thanks for your nice comments.

The hinges are simple pivot hinges I bought from rockler. They work well. There is a nice small resistance in the swing. They were tricky to install, but after the first door it was a piece of cake.

I will definitely fatten up the width of the bottom rails of the doors a little bit. Totally agree on that suggestion!

Extreamly nice work. I wish I knew how to use a hand plane like that. That's one thing I have never used.
    Donny

Love the design and wood selection. Excellent execution. Congrats!

Very nice design and wood selection; as others have mentioned. Congrats on the sale and good luck with future sales!
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Blog Entries
    Nice selection of wood and good job executing the design. It looks good from here.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute