Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost trade

Lost trade

I have tried to order from this crowd http://goo.gl/oguH0

Will not deliver outside of USA.

I wonder how much trade is lost through this habit?

I might add I buy stuff from Cabelas all the time, without a problem.
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

You are one of only 25 wood workers in New Zealand didn't you know that.

Now come on, You have ample opportunity every year to have one of our film crew guys stick that bit in their checked baggage and bring it to you. Heck Harry P. has been there for the last 7 years. You guys should be old friends by now.

I have always wondered, Do you guys (folks from real far from US/Canada) whine about Chinese made vs NA made tools as much as us? I personally like european tools as my preference but own a lot of everyone's. No New Zealand tools though - you guys need to get with it. China is taking over your trade too!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    You are one of only 25 wood workers in New Zealand didn't you know that.

Now come on, You have ample opportunity every year to have one of our film crew guys stick that bit in their checked baggage and bring it to you. Heck Harry P. has been there for the last 7 years. You guys should be old friends by now.

I have always wondered, Do you guys (folks from real far from US/Canada) whine about Chinese made vs NA made tools as much as us? I personally like European tools as my preference but own a lot of everyone's. No New Zealand tools though - you guys need to get with it. China is taking over your trade too!
    Talking to my tool supplier yesterday, they now mostly sell Taiwanese kit, the standard is up with German stuff at about half the price.

You are right we don't make many tools, mainly an agricultural exporter and we would sell more to you if you had free trade.

The fact remains that you are losing trade by not exporting.

This export thing includes Australia, so it's not just our low numbers, we are 4 million.

Shipping overseas from the USA can be a huge hassle with all the customs forms and everything. You also have the hassle at times of the overseas buyer wanting to use a different shipper than the seller normally deals with. I know for Canadian shipments from the USA UPS charges the buyer some horrendous fees and Canadians typically want stuff shipped via the postal service to avoid the fees.

I would suggest they all get in touch with Cabellas and find out how it is done.

Lee Valley send overseas, but take about 10 time longer than Cabellas to deliver, they should get in touch too.

You must admit it is funny that it is only hard for some.

This issue is starting to rear its head more and more. As a rule there is no problem for the sender, pack and send by US Post, only a declaration on the parcel required and that is all. If there are any issues it is on receipt and that is up to the buyer. Me, I ring them now, easier and faster and I nearly always get what I want quicker.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Most international shipping is hard to track and impossible to insure. I really don't think they want to lose the trade but just can't afford everything that goes with it.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I agree.. Most companies in the USA will ship to Canada.. Holbren, Laguna.. Its usually the smaller ones that don't want to ship international, I suspect is got more to do with fear of the unknown.

CMT is an Italian company in any event. Seems there must be another distributor closer to NZ no? Most US retailers that carry CMT only list a fraction of their product line in their catalogues, not sure why. I don't have trouble believing a small business with a web portal doesn't want to lose money on overseas shipping given the risks, and they may also be restricted by their vendors from shipping certain products to other markets.

There are rules to keep track of what can and can't be legally exported to other countries--imposed by both governments and manufacturers protecting distributors' territories. I'd imagine especially so in the tool industry where there are varying governmental safety standards. Several minutes of time spent checking restrictions and filling out custom forms could quickly eat into profit margins. Then there are that hassles of lost shipments, angry customers due to sometimes unreliable shippers, fraud (probably not as much in NZ but in other parts of the world,) etc. I can easily see why a company, especially a small company, would just make a blanket "no" statement.

If Google is right, this is Tool Home's world headquarters:

Just a guess, but I'd bet they don't stock much inventory but drop ship it from suppliers instead. It appears their operations might be in a bit of a different league than Cabelas.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 01-17-2011 at 8:40 AM.

First I would not order from this website as it violates one of my first Internet buying rules. They do not list an 800 number prominently on there website so I'm assuming they are not very eager to talk to their customers, real businesses have 800 numbers.

I ship internationally and it is a pain in the neck. UPS charges are extremely expensive so I ship everything via the United States post office, there are so many different rules based on weights size and items and they seem to be different for almost every country it probably is not worth it for me to ship internationally I think I do it more or less so I can say that I have shipped my products all over the world.
    Thank You
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hazel View Post
    First I would not order from this website as it violates one of my first Internet buying rules. They do not list an 800 number prominently on there website so I'm assuming they are not very eager to talk to their customers, real businesses have 800 numbers.

I ship internationally and it is a pain in the neck. UPS charges are extremely expensive so I ship everything via the United States post office, there are so many different rules based on weights size and items and they seem to be different for almost every country it probably is not worth it for me to ship internationally I think I do it more or less so I can say that I have shipped my products all over the world.
    The idea that it is only convenient to trade with ourselves seems a strange one to me.

But what do I know?

Its not about convenience, its about profit which is why most companies are in business.

Nova woodturning chucks are made by a New Zealand company (Teknatool). Years ago I wanted one of their chucks not then exported to the U.S., so I called the NZ embassy here in Washington to get the phone number, then called Nova, and they arranged to have the chuck sent through Craft Supplies, out in Utah. The people I spoke with both at the embassy and Nova itself could not have been friendlier nor more helpful; the whole thing was a very nice experience and as pain free as they could make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Its not about convenience, its about profit which is why most companies are in business.
    And there I was thinking they were in business due to trade.