Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laser Engraver Drink Glass Recomendations

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Samuelson View Post
    I see a need in my area for selling engraved glasses to restaurants and bars but need some help getting started.
    Most Bars and restaurants will not want to spend the money on any engraving, whether it is blasted or lasered. They get most of their glasses from the alcohol suppliers or from the food suppliers. Why pay for something when you can get it free. Also, bars are go through too many glasses with drops and fights and what nots. Replacements will get too expensive.

Just my two cents...
    Epilog 35 watt, Rotary Attachment, Corel X-3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Braden Todd View Post
    I estimate that 5dzn bottles takes me around 5hrs to expose, washout, align to bottle and burnish (now I just need the laser time to compute).
    That works out to 5 minutes/bottle... guess what? You're not going to really speed that time up any when you add in taking the bottle in/out of the rotary, opening/closing the door, locking things down, etc. You may see an extra bottle or two per hour, but is that worth the price of the laser? Unless it's an ultra-simple design you can vector, your processing time per bottle is going to easily be 3-6 minutes/bottle.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Somebody mentioned Glass America earlier. I use them often and find that I can sell their glass, printed or engraved, for less than I can engrave the customer's glasses. I can also make a decent margin and do no work other than ordering. Think marked beer glasses in the area of $3.00 and you still make your mark up.

Obviously, higher quantites are required but not so high as to be unreasonable.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have lasered quite a few glasses in the last couple years, the biggest problem is
    getting the price in an area people will pay.

If it's a special glass or bottle I recommend a local blaster as it does produce a nicer
    etch, but the cost comes with it typically $25-$30 per item.

The ones I've done, 10-300 at a time ($2.50- $8.00) depending upon laser time
    (usually 2-5min I have the cases set on a table next to the laser, with a brush to
    clean the glasses so it's pretty much non stop) I have the client provide glasses with
    extras just in case;-). I recommend Dollar stores, Old Tyme Pottery, Garden Ridge
    etc. They usually are cheaper than a hotel supplier. I recommend style of glasses that
    are easier to work with on the rotary.

The larger quantities are for events, weddings, conferences etc. I can usually get the
    engraving down to about 2 min a glasses (all time included) so that brings laser
    billing time to $75per hour+

I can't buy them out and mark them up enough to justify it. (shipping is a killer!)I do
    them on a weekend so I don't have the normal interuptions. Boring, yes, but it does
    bring in work that I wouldn't have. In a run of 300 glasses it takes about 10-12hrs
    work, billing about $800.

The key is finding a way to make it work, by the time the customer buys the glasses
    themselves (less than a dollar each) total cost is under $4.00 a glass. If I can fit their
    budget I Make money and they are happy.

Then..... when I get them interested, I end up selling them a handful of candles (water-slide decals) customized poker chips as give-aways, an engraved copy of their
    invitation, gifts for the bridal party and awards for the event etc.

As for bars and restraunts, unless they are selling the glasses, it's tough to get them
    to buy enough to make it worth while. Each broken glass means the have to sell
    a couple extra beers to pay for it. I have seen some that have personalized mugs
    on a rack that are reserved for regulars though.

It can work, but takes planning and creativity.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

A few months back I did 120 glasses for the local establishment of a national bar chain. I engraved name date and event on their logo beer glasses for a bar mitzvah they hosted in one of their party rooms. I charged $4.25 each including pick up and delivery.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7