Thread: Penn State Pocket hole Jig

Penn State Pocket hole Jig

Anyone here have experience with the Penn State Pocket hole jig? I have the old Kreg Professional model (not the blue one) and the pocket rocket. But was looking for more versatility, and the Penn State model offers variety at about half the price of the Kreg. It looks to be sturdy from the pics and description. If anyone has one, let me know what you think. Addtionally, Eagle America offers one as well. Top photo is Penn State's and the bottem is Eagle America's
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aurelio alarcon; 01-11-2005 at 3:18 AM.
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

Aurelio, I have the Penn State model and have been quite happy with it. Mark
    Mark R

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rakestraw
    Aurelio, I have the Penn State model and have been quite happy with it. Mark
    Thanks Mark. I'll probably go with either the Penn State Model or the Eagle America. I think that I can get most of the versatility that the Kregg has to offer at a fraction of the price. Right now the Penn State Model is about 70 bucks for the kit. And the Eagle America is about ten dollars less than that (its on clearence). Again, thanks for the input.
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

Blog Entries
    Agreed. I don't have the PSI jig but the difference in price just to have the clamp lever on the drilling side of the jig plus some dust collection seems a bit high. Does PSI offer the lifetime warranty? Still for almost twice the price . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've got the PSI jig, and have been very happy with it. I've not used a Kreg, so I don't have a comparison, but the PSI kit is solid, and very easy to use. Like Glenn, I can't see the extra features on the Kreg being worth twice the price, especially for my limited pocket hole use.

- Vaughn

Hello!

I have the PSI jig and like it a lot. Price sold me. I am sure the Kreg is also good but at the time I did not like all the plastic parts that would get lost in my shop for sure. I purchased it about two years ago. May want to check Wood Magazine WOOD MALL site. Got $5.00 off if ordered through PSI site in the WOOD MALL

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...9&d=1121917768

I have the Kreg, not the new one. But I'm likeing the looks of that puppy. I like how it is adjustable to set your spacing.

One complaint I have with the Kreg, well two. For the money you pay you would think that they would give you a square drive bit with a hardened tip. And the locking plyers are junk. Least they could have done was get them from Vise Grip.

You guys that are thinking about buying the PSI may want to look at this page. I do not know if this is the one that you are looking for or not but it is on sale. They claim that it is normally $69.95 and it is on sale for $44.95 plus $6.95 shipping for a total of $51.90. I don't even need one at the current time but ordered it anyway due to the price. I hope that this is the one that you guys are saying is good. Let me know please. Looks like the same one that aurelio is showing.

They say "Limited Quantities" but who knows.

Allen

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/e-10258g.html
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 08-10-2006 at 11:59 PM.

I have the one in the first pic, I picked it up 3 or 4 years ago at the WW Show. It was from TWC, I think they are gone now, I have wondered who picked up this little jig as it has been great. I like the fact that I can space the holes and move them up and down for different thicknesses of lumber. I also have a portable jig that came with it that you can put the drill guides on and use the vise grip clamp to hold it to the work piece. Thumbs up on this jig.
    Custom cabinet maker extraodinaire.....?