Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which router?

Which router?

Posted this over on woodnet, but that forum changes SO fast, I'm afraid I will lose the answers. That said, apologies for the duplication.

===
    I'm going to the woodworking show in a couple weeks here in atlanta, and to date, I don't have a nice router so figured I might catch a deal there.

What I'm looking for is something that will last me a while, will accept 1/2" and 1/4" bits, maybe fixed and plunge base, and most importantly, will accept most of the third party add-ons like fences, collars, etc.

I'm a hobbyist at best, so this need not be top of the line, but something I can use for a few years.

A "nice to have" would be soft-start.

I WON'T be throwing around raised-panel bits with it. (If I get into that, I'll buy another router FOR that.)

As welcome are opinions on models to stay away FROM.
    If "It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools", why do we think we can do more, and be better at it, with more expensive gizmos? You can't trade cash for skill. Unfortunately, I have neither.

I have the Porter Cable 895PK kit which includes the fixed base, plunge base, and a wrench to adjust bit height above the router table. The kit also comes with 1/4" and 1/2" collets. I got mine for $229 + shipping from Coastal Tools. Their price is $269 with a $40 instant rebate.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...187+1105492796

I believe Bosch makes a really nice kit that runs about $200. Sears sells the same model but it's a different color and include a router table wrench like the PC for about $220.

There are quite a few good router kits out there. I doubt you would regret getting any of the well known name brands that are within your budget.

What Jim said.

Bosch 1617EVSPK ...

... I have the kit as well as two other 1617EVS routers and I love 'em! They have soft start (as do most newer routers). Until recently, I used one of them in my router table and ran raised panels just fine. You might have to make a couple of extra passes when making raised panels to ease the strain on the motor and bearings.

I recently got a Hitachi M12V for the table and it's performing great!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I'll put a plug in for the Makita 1101. I got the kit which came with both fixed and plunge bases, etc. Makita makes the smoothest and quietest motor on the market. Having said that, the PC model with the adjustability ABOVE the router table is a real nice feature to have.

Another one to look at is the Hitachi M12......$159 from Amazon.

Maurice

What ever router you choose, get one with both the plunge base and the fixed base. My router only has the plunge base and can be a bit bulky to use, when you don't need the plunge action.

Mike,

I like my 690 series PC router. Has both the fix and plunge base with 1/4 and 1/2" collets. Now I had my choice of products as it was purchased with a gift card but I chose the PC brand. I did this because of several reasons the most important of which was accessories available. Seem most every one making top/tables/bases makes them to fit the PC first.

My 2c/t's

Just about any of the 12 amp ("2.5hp") kits from the majors will do you fine. I think that at present the PC 890 series and the Dewalt 618 series are about the cream of the crop. (I own the Dewalt with all three bases and like it a lot)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Just about any of the 12 amp ("2.5hp") kits from the majors will do you fine. I think that at present the PC 890 series and the Dewalt 618 series are about the cream of the crop. (I own the Dewalt with all three bases and like it a lot)
    *nod* *nod* totall agreement with Jim here.

I tend to agree with Jim Dunn the most, however almost all the name brand routers are good. At the show you can put your hands on Porter Cable, DeWalt, Bosch, Makita, etc... and see what feels the best. The reason I like the 690's is they are bullet proof, smallish compared to some of the newer routers, fit well in the hand, and a very good value. Lowe's has the fixed base 690 for $99. Add a plunge base kit with a D-handle as well and maybe a free edge guide from Woodworker Supply for around $199. You may want to go with one of the newer routers for a little more, they typically offer a rack and pinnion height adjustment, variable speed, soft start, etc... You won't go wrong with any of the routers mentioned.

John

I'm kind of partial to the DeWalt DW621. It's a 2HP plunge, but not quite as heavy/clumsy as some of the bigger 3HP plunge routers. The plunge mechanism is one of the better ones made, and it's got a built-in dust collection port. I've had mine for about 15 yrs now with no problems except for one collet that got worn out and had to be replaced.
    Use the fence Luke

MIchael....

There are many good routers out there right now, especially if you stick to the name brand tools. As for third party accessories, this is something to watch close as there are many differences with regard to how they attach, and as such, not all devices work with all routers.

For me, one of the most important features of a router is how well it fits my hands. I know this sounds trivial, but some routers are just awkward to hold and use which to me creates an unsafe situation. I can't really put a "finger" on what it is about some routers that simply don't feel right, but this is what I look (feel) for.

I hold the router as if I was using it.

I then "Feel" for the on-off switch - does my hand find it without hunting?
    The same process for the plunge lock on a plunge router, do I have to hunt for it. Then the handles, do they fit my hands or are they too big or too small.

These next items pertain to the plunge routers only. Fiddle with the depth stop rod, make some adjustments to see how well it works. Some of the best brand routers on the market have very poorly designed plunge rods and locking mechanisms. Now plunge the router and raise it a few times, does it work smoothly or does it bind and stick - very important for plunge router to have a smooth action.

Finally, be sure you know what attachements you want, then make sure they can be used with the router.

Hope this helps!

Chris DeHut

Chris speaks well...how comfortable in your hands is the ultimate test. It helped make my own decision.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I also second Chris' advice. For example, lots of people love the DeWalt plunge routers, but I find the locking system too hard to use while the router is running, so I prefer the Bosch. For a fixed router, the PCs seem to be the standard and any accessories should work with them. Go to the show and hold all of them in your hands as though they were spinning away. Also check out the different systems for changing bits. Get all the sales people to tell you why theirs is best -- that should be a lot of fun!

I purchased the DW618PK a few months ago and absolutely love the thing. Many good choices out there and it can be a trying experience making a decision, I know first hand

These fellas are stirring you in a good direction and the have the background to back it all up... me... I'm just a newbie putting my $.02 worth in

Good luck with the hobby. I am on fire with it at the moment.