Thread: Is the Freedom Pens program still alive?

Is the Freedom Pens program still alive?

I've just started turning pens and am interested in the Freedom Pen program. I tried going through the links at FreedomPens.org to send emails requesting info. Both emails bounced back. This leads me to wonder if the project has died since the addressees (Jackie and Keith) appear to be the major players in the project.

Cheers.

The Freedom Pen program is still alive to the best of my knowledge. Keith and Jackie both have full time jobs and Keith has a business to run.....and then there's the Creek. This thread should get his attention or Jackie's attention and if it doesn't, I will contact them via the Moderator's Forum.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks Ken,

The thing that concerned me was that both emails bounced as undeliverable. Had there just been no reply, I would have understood them to be busy with other facets of live. Glad to hear the project is still alive and well. I'm a military retiree myself and am always happy to see our troops getting support from home.

Cheers,

Ron

Ron

We are still allive and well. We have shipped over 122,000 pens to our troops in harms way. Let me know how I can help you.

Jackie Outten

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Radliff View Post
    I've just started turning pens and am interested in the Freedom Pen program. I tried going through the links at FreedomPens.org to send emails requesting info. Both emails bounced back. This leads me to wonder if the project has died since the addressees (Jackie and Keith) appear to be the major players in the project.

Cheers.

Jackie,

I'm looking for the basic info to get me started. Where/how do I get pen kits? What do I do with them when finished? Is the style pen up to me or is there a certain pattern that is preferred?

Basically, I have a lathe and would like to help. Where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Ron

I've come to the conclusion that the www.freedompens.org website is either dead, or not being actively maintained. Attempting to get 'current' program information, I've tried writing to all the major players listed on the page, including the webmaster, yet all attempts have resulted in my emails being bounced as undeliverable.

Ron,

Our server admin has been working on our server lately and in the process he has been doing something with the DNS for a couple of our web sites. Last week our company web site was down for a couple of days, this week it looks like he is working on Freedom Pens.

Sadly we don't have the time to keep the Freedom Pens Project web site up to date. We do spend plenty of time making and sending pens to the Middle East which is more important to us than the web site. I wish we could do more but it isn't possible considering the workload here at The Creek.

Keith,

Thanks for the info. After retiring from the military and before retiring for good, I worked with networks and websites, so I can appreciate what the server admin is up against. Best of luck in their endeavors.

I'm looking for some basic info on the program, per my post a week or so ago. I've seen some of the info on the web, but judging by the post dates, it's rather old. I'd like to get started turning pens for the troops, but hesitate to send for kits in case the info I've found is no longer valid.

This is from my earlier post: "I'm looking for the basic info to get me started. Where/how do I get pen kits? What do I do with them when finished? Is the style pen up to me or is there a certain pattern that is preferred? Basically, I have a lathe and would like to help. Where do I go from here?"

Thanks,

Ron

Ron,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I've been sick for the last week with the crud that is going around. You can make any type of pen that you desire. I can get you some funline kits for $1.25 each plus $7.50 for shipping or you can order them from any of the pen suppliers. Once you have completed the pens make sure to include a note with your email address and send them to Freedom Pens Project, 8770 Little England Road, Hayes, VA 23072. Let me know if I can help you.

Jackie

Thanks Jackie,

I hope you get to feeling better soon. I was down with something similar last week. Not much fun.
    I appreciate the info on freedom pens. I'll get a check out to you right away. I'm looking at starting with about 40 pens.

Cheers,

Ron

i had some of the same questions, glay to know it s still up and going ,, also good info on pen turning at http://www.penturners.org/ ..allen

Quote Originally Posted by allen syler View Post
    i had some of the same questions, glay to know it s still up and going ,, also good info on pen turning at http://www.penturners.org/ ..allen
    You have share a great link buddy...!!
    It has a large collection of some pretty good pens and will help me to find the best out of them...!!