Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iPhone or droid

iPhone or droid

I have been thinking about getting a smart phone so I would have internet access when I am out on job sites. I currently have Verizon cell service & they have the best coverage in my area. I had decided on a Droid & then Verizon announced they would start carrying the iPhone in February. What are the advantages of one over the other? Does the small screen size on the phones cause problems with viewing web pages?
    Would an iPad be a better choice for internet & just keep voice only cell phone?

Hey Chris - The first thing to consider is one's level of technical savvy... I think most folks can figure out either device but by FAR the iPhone is an awesome device for folks that are less technically savvy.... The web pages on the small screens aren't too bad for the quick lookup on something but if that was the primary usage then I'd go for an iPad or one of the netbook pc's. Funny thing is I'm a tech guy and I prefer the iPhone simply because I just want something that works and I don't need to hassle with a more PC like device. Verizon's iPhone also addresses some of the issues w/ the new iPhones.... I do know that functionally the Droid is a faster machine... my 2 cents

My dad swears by his Iphone, and he's on his second or third one. He just upgraded to the 4. I don't know much about the Droid, but I'm taking my piece of junk HTC touch Pro 2 (windows mobile 6.5) back and getting an Android with U.S. Cellular. My brother just got an Android and he likes it. Not sure, but I think Droid and Android are the same, just different carriers. Whatever you do, DON'T get a windows phone. The Windows 7 phone is supposed to be coming out soon, but if it's anything like this 6.5 I have it's not worth the box it was shipped in. It locks up all the time, it's slow, the start menu opens itself all the time when I'm trying to do other things on it, and I can't hardly hear people when talking on the phone. This probably hasn't helped much but I felt compelled to warn you against going towards a winmo devise.

Chris, what kind of work do you do, and what do you do on job sites? I ask because I have a family member that's on job sites daily and he uses his ipad for work like crazy. There are some outstanding tools for that device that fit great into the contracting world. For instance, he can pull up plans on his screen, he can walk through the site, touch where he is on the site drawing, it opens a note, he can type a note "XYZ Contractor reworking this wall" and keep on walking. Then he's always got his drawings and his notes at his finger tips. He can also log into his work computer and use or get anything he needs from that, if he has a need.

He loves the thing and he's not a Mac person. It will also voice record meetings, and while it's recording, you can touch the screen, put a note on that point, like "Issue with XYZ", then he can search the entire voice record for "Issue with XYZ" and it'll take it to the exact spot where XYZ was being discussed. He puts people's names on those, specific issues, etc., and then it makes a voice recording that you can search easily and get right to the exact conversations as they took place.

If those type things would be helpful, you might look at the ipad. If they don't, then there's not much need for an ipad on the site.

Just my take on it all.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

That's like asking PC or Mac, Ford or Chevy. I'm very happy with my Sprint EVO 4G. The giant screen is great (though I'd at least look at the new one with the real keyboard next time.) App support is great. Its easy to use and does way more than I need it to. Sometimes in the morning I read my mail on the phone while making my coffee since the phone charges in the kitchen.

The one thing it doesn't do is act as an iPod, or I should say I haven't tried the app that is supposed to let it sync with iTunes. But I doubt its as easy to use for that purpose as my iPod which is probably an advantage of the iPhone.

I have a few things to say.

To start with: Chris, do you use iTunes? The reason I ask this, is because some people hate iTunes. Now personally, although there are some things that I would change, I really like it. On the other hand, my dad (who programs for a living) hates it, and is always asking for my help doing different things. So if you have never used it, I would recommend downloading it, or if one of your kids has an iPod, try messing around with it, to try to get the feel.

Secondly, on the Droid/Android discussion: Android is the operating system that the phones run. Droid is the name of the actual phone. There are actually several phones that use the name Droid. The original was the Motorola Droid, and one of the first to run the Android OS. Lately however, there have been a few more to use the word Droid. The Droid 2, which was basically an update of the original Droid, and the Droid X, which has no slide out keyboard, are also made by Motorola. The other "Droid" phone is the Droid incredible, by HTC. Of course, just because it doesn't have Droid in the name, doesn't mean it doesn't run Android OS. Google's latest official phone, the Nexus S (by Samsung), obviously doesn't have "Droid" in the name, but definitely runs Android OS.

And last, Windows Phone 7 is a complete revamp from Windows 6.5. Windows Phone 7 is more akin to the Zune OS.

That is all for now, gentlemen.
    Trying desperately to get over my fear of spending money.

Chris, I'm on my second iPhone and will be upgrading later in the spring to my third. I happen to really like the iPhone. Professor Dr SWMBO just got an upgrade from her old 3G to an iPhone 4 for Christmas. That said, there are a number of really nice Android options, too.

BTW, if you're considering iPhone on Verizon (or any other VZ 3G smartphone for that matter), note that you cannot make calls and use the data services simultaneously on their network. It's a "feature" of the CDMA technology they use. As a business user, I regularly take advantage of being on a call and also using data services on my iPhone which is on ATT's GSM/3G services. This could temper your decision if it's important to you and you're a VZ customer by contract. In that case, a "regular" phone combined with either an iPad with ATT 3G (native and reasonably priced) or a netbook with a VZ LTE 4G USB modem would give you great jobsite Internet access. And if you need to actually view a lot of documents, the larger screens of the iPad or netbook will be appreciated by your eyes. I actually plan on acquiring an iPad when the next version is released (with the video capability) as it will be very useful to me for both business and personal use while traveling.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Chris,
    Try to analyze what you are going to use it for. If it is for web access on a jobsite, you may want the iPad. I have the iPhone and it is great for internet, and apps being on the go.

Breaker one nine, Rubber Duck you got your ears up? I feel a bit like Rip Van Winkle. I must have been asleep awhile.
    The Plane Anarchist

I think you'll find both will do what you ask of them. It's that age old argument is pc or mac better... The answer is neither. The Iphone is the most popular (on a phone by phone basis not os basis) and appears to have the best customer satisfaction. They also have the largest selection of apps available, though 99% are for the most part useless... A draw back of the Iphone 4 is the glass on the back and front, it breaks real easy and Apple isn't going to fix it for pretty much any reason.

Your mileage may vary.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Breaker one nine, Rubber Duck you got your ears up? I feel a bit like Rip Van Winkle. I must have been asleep awhile.
    I'm with you Leigh. I just recently upgraded my phone to one with a camera...woohoo. Time to join the 21st century!
    PI

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Incognito View Post
    I'm with you Leigh. I just recently upgraded my phone to one with a camera...woohoo. Time to join the 21st century!
    PI
    Phones have cameras????????
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Another vote for the iPhone. I'm on my second (a 4) and have been very happy with it and the previous. It just works, easily. You just have to keep an eye on your battery usage (charge it every night, though I have gone 2 days before) and data usage. I have the 200 MB plan, and now that I went over that for the second time, I'm probably going to bump it up to the 2 GB plan. It's processor-intensive apps (games) and heavy WiFi usage with a weak signal that eat the battery. The phone and iPod don't use much of the battery at all.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Well since everyone is on the Iphone bandwagon I'll chime in with a different perspective. I have the first Droid by Motorola. I got it mainly because I wanted access to the internet when away from my computer. I was impressed with the capability after seeing what my BIL could do with his. Incidently, HIS brother had an IPhone and has since switched to the Droid. Both very similar. My wife has an IPhone.

I'm not quite as ignorant as I suggested. I ordered a HTC Droid to replace my Blackberry Pearl a few weeks ago. ATT bought Alltel so we are forced to get new AT&T phones. I thought the Droid looked like it woud display web pages (SMC) better than a Balckberry replacement. I could have gone to an I phone but then I would have to leave my "Alltell" plan and go over to a ATT plan and loose my unlimitted internet access. But I really don't want to know anything about these phones. I just want one that has a good phone, good camera, works well with the internet and has a big screen. I do not want my phone to be another hobby. I'd rather spend my time with a hand plane than figuring out what phone does what. But that's where you guys come in. I listen to your recomendations and then act. Thanks for your advise. Too late but maybe I should have looked closser at the I phones.
    The Plane Anarchist