Thread: CNC size question

CNC size question

What allowances does one make for footprint size from cutting area?

Example, if my cutting area is 32" x 50" (xy), what would my footprint be?

Assuming R&P machine.

Thanks.
    Carol in NV

On my current Joes, of my 8020 I loose 10" on my Y axis and on my X I loose abut 17".

So if I was building a 50X32 I would need 60X49 roughly in 8020 plus teh width of the stepper motors on the X.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    What allowances does one make for footprint size from cutting area?

Example, if my cutting area is 32" x 50" (xy), what would my footprint be?

Assuming R&P machine.

Thanks.
    It depends on how you build or buy your machine. Depends on what size your gantry is, size of the router mounting plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

If you are space planning, I would put access space all around it. Using a moving gantry type, typically I have seen allowing 10" to 2' in each the X and Y dimension from the cut area dimensions. It totally depends on your machine design. Also remember to design for your work flow. How to you move materials around your shop and onto your machine, and how you move them off and where you move it too.

Just a few thoughts...
    The answer is XYZZY

I think it does boil down to your machine design. With my new Torchmate 2 x 4 my foot print is 12" larger for both the x and y, i.e. 36" x 60".

Well, this appeared to be a chicken and egg question that I posed very poorly. Let my try again.

I was asking about the foot print of the machine relative to the cutting area. The reason for the questions was to help drive the cutting area, as I have just so much space.

I am well familiar with ingress/egress issues and work flow issues. I am also aware of gantry width sufficient to get beyond (at least slightly) the cutting width, (or even a 'parking place' for one z axis to allow a second z axis to operate) and sufficient y axis to allow for cutting off the end of the table for certain joinery.

The question is how much allowance. Say one z axis, will 12" more than the width of teh cutting area be sufficient? With the y axis, how about 18" more than the length to accommodate of the table joinery?

Thanks.
    Carol in NV

I would start by determining the maximum size you plan on cutting, for example 24" x 36" or 48" x 48" once you have that you can figure how the machine is built and how much extra room you need.

Take a look at #3 post above Cut Area - 25" X 36" total machine footprint - 33.5" X 50"

Mick
    Hardware:
    Software:

Mick Martin Woodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    Well, this appeared to be a chicken and egg question that I posed very poorly. Let my try again.

I was asking about the foot print of the machine relative to the cutting area. The reason for the questions was to help drive the cutting area, as I have just so much space.

I am well familiar with ingress/egress issues and work flow issues. I am also aware of gantry width sufficient to get beyond (at least slightly) the cutting width, (or even a 'parking place' for one z axis to allow a second z axis to operate) and sufficient y axis to allow for cutting off the end of the table for certain joinery.

The question is how much allowance. Say one z axis, will 12" more than the width of teh cutting area be sufficient? With the y axis, how about 18" more than the length to accommodate of the table joinery?

Thanks.
    so my best guess would be based on how much space you actually have and what you intend to do with your router?

Thanks, Mick. Your answer was the most helpful thus far.

The space I have available will drive the size of the machine. I hope to be able to accommodate a 30" x 40" cutting area. The gantry will be longer to accommodate two z axis.

So the footprint of the machine ought to be around 46" x 54. I can have access on all four sides and ingress/egress of materials via an open doorway when in use.

Its a start. So far.

Thanks.
    Carol in NV

I have about 18" / 24" walking space around all 4 sides of my machine, in normal use I always work from one side and one end. I could move my machine into a corner which would give me more room in my workshop, but I like the extra room when I an cleaning my machine and sweeping the floor.

Mick
    Hardware:
    Software:

Mick Martin Woodworking