Thread: Wood movement and coating the back of fireplace surround

Wood movement and coating the back of fireplace surround

Is it desirable to splash a cost of finish on the back of a solid mahogany fireplace surround and mantel. The house is always rather dry and being so close to a source of heat it could suffer cupping or other issues if the panels are not evenly finished. I was thinking about a coat of shellac on the back, staining the visible surfaces, and finishing using Waterlox

Thanks,
    Wayne

I built a Mantel and surround using solid mahogany. I finished it using Minwax Tung Oil Finish. I screwed it to the wall frame, behind the surround and allowed for some movement by drilling an oversized pilot hole for the screws. I have not had any issues in the 4 years I have had it.

Hi Joe,

Did you apply finish to the back of the panels or just the front visible areas? Thanks for your input.

I finish the backs of mine and more importantly hang them in a way that lets them move. I usually use no fasteners at all but rather hang them on a sort of heavy duty french cleat top and bottom. It takes a couple of tries to get them adjusted right, and if the mantle ever needs refinishing you can just tap it up and remove it.

Hi Larry,

I'll coat the backs with some cheaper finish. Everything is mounted using screws but the holes are over sizes, so there is room for movement.

Thanks,
    Wayne