Thread: Inside corners and Quarter round Molding?

Inside corners and Quarter round Molding?

I meant outside corners

Hello,

Looking for some guidelines for cutting and installing quater round molding around inside 90° quarters. Such as around the end of a archway wall. Just Installed laminate flooring.

Is there a rule of thumb as to how far the piece coming up to the corner needs to stick out past the end of the wall in order to get the end piece to fit properly? Thanks

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Von Kaenel; 01-14-2011 at 3:14 PM.

2. When I'm measuring for trim pieces, I use a combination of methods. First, it might be necessary to have a protractor handy. Lots of 90 degree corners aren't even close.

Next, I start by cutting a small piece of the trim, with 45's at each end. I make one of these to temporarily fit inside corners, and one for outside corners. I use these "proxies" to help me get a really good measurement. They are particularly handy for the outside corners -- you don't have to measure to the back side of the miter, you can measure to the front. (And you can subsequently make your cut by aligning the chop-saw blade to the front-marked workpiece, which might be easier).

Also note that a couple of these pre-cut miter pieces can be used i a pinch to replace the protractor -- just try the corner with the 45's, and take your best guess from there.

And I always make sure that if there is any slop (any open joint), that slop is either in an inside corner, or in a scarf or butt joint. It will be much less noticeable there, than if it was on an outside corner.

And of course, if you're using painted trim, think caulk.

Thanks David!!