Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baltic Birch - Possible to not have burned edges?

Baltic Birch - Possible to not have burned edges?

Hello all,

I have been reading through the engraving forum on and off for a couple years now and have just recently started to tinker around again with the laser machines I have access to.

I used a 45-Watt Epilog (Vector Settings: 15 Speed, 100% Power) to make the finger joint baby block (date of birth, weight, length, etc...) in the attached picture. It came out really well, buy my wife doesn't really like the burned edges. I myself like the look (even like the look of the left-over kinda sticky residue), but was wondering if anyone has been able to vector baltic birch plywood (1/8") without the burned edges?

I realize that I could just move away from the finger joints and miter the edges to resolve the burned edges on this specific item, but am working on a few different ideas/items where I would not have that option.

I have access to a 150W Kern HSE laser, but haven't given baltic birch on that machine a try yet... I was going to try this weekend, but if the experts here say it isn't possible then I won't bother tinkering with it?

I wanted to thank everyone here for all their posts as I have learned SO much by reading through the threads. I really enjoy projects on the laser and am considering giving it a try as a side business.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Glenn Chua; 01-14-2011 at 9:55 AM.

Glenn,
    One thing you can do to eliminate some of that look, is to make the finger just a little bit longer and then sand it down flush with the face. I just got in a shipment of baltic birch. Although I am into my 3rd year with my 40 watt EXT I have never cut any baltic birch, so I'll let you know my results. I have cut other plywood and it is somewhat difficult because of the different plys. I am going to try 1/8" with a slow speed, high power and a 500 frequency, I'll let you know how it comes out.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Thanks. I just found a post submitted not too long ago on the same topic (I should have searched before I posted to prevent double work). Lee DeRaud did mention that it may be possible with higher power lasers so I'm going to give it a try with the 150W and post my results.

I think Larry's on the right track. I have never been able to cut without some burning of the edges. I would suggest cutting, assembling, sanding then engraving.

I doubt that 150 watts is going to solve the problem but maybe that faster speed will help.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

One idea to get rid of the burn marks is to laser out just the box pieces not photos ect. and assemble and glue your boxes together as shown in your photo. Then lightly sand with a palm sander each of the sides. Then put on a few coats of finish. Make a jig (matte board works great for this)or cutout the size of your box to help locate the box on the laser bed, and laser away. Then just clean off the burn marks with some window cleaner.
    You could also make your tabs on the box .01"-.02" higher if you are worried about sanding into the plywood
    Last edited by Robert Alexander; 01-14-2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Forgot a step.
    Camaster CR410 & Epilog Helix
    Prosperity, is something that business people create.......for politicians to take the credit for.

If you are looking at just doing these "baby blocks" you might consider searching the internet under wood blocks, I'm sure there are many suppliers of pre-finished blocks.

We used to do these on base when someone had a child.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Baltic birch ply always gives me brown edges, but the brown I get on 1/8" is much lighter than in Glenn's photo.
    In the photo it looks as though there is more power than needed and it is bringing the resin - try reducing the frequency.

I have a bit more power, so these settings are not immediately usable, but might give a guide -
    For 1/8 ply I use Speed 25, Power 25 to 35 and Frequency 300.

I'n jealous of the Kern - with 150W you should be able to cut 3/8 - 1/2" ply without charring.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Glenn,
    Put a clear coat on both sides first. Then use double odd steel wool on the best (football free) side, clean off with either a tack cloth or blow it off with compressed air. Then give the best side another light coat. This will either help prevent the residue on the surface or make it simple to clean off with a damp towel.

Your edges are darker than normal. I am not sure what your settings would be but for my 60 watt Trotec I use 100% power 1.18% speed and 5000 hz. Also make sure you have really good exhaust. I just installed a pin table and am working on the setting to prevent flash back but having air pulled from under the part also helps reduce smoke residue on top.

Also the type of Baltic Birch can make a difference. You should use interior grade because the glue for exterior grade is harder to cut for most lasers.

Hope this helps and ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Chua View Post
    Thanks. I just found a post submitted not too long ago on the same topic (I should have searched before I posted to prevent double work). Lee DeRaud did mention that it may be possible with higher power lasers so I'm going to give it a try with the 150W and post my results.
    For solid wood, possibly (probably?). But the glue in the plywood will probably come out dark brown or black no matter what you hit it with.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bratton View Post
    One thing you can do to eliminate some of that look, is to make the finger just a little bit longer and then sand it down flush with the face.
    If you're using my 'fingerbox' macro to lay it out, there's an option in there to do exactly that...IIRC it defaults to 0.03". I usually use a router with a flush-trim bit rather than sandpaper, especially if there is any engraving or inlay on the faces.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Hi Glenn,

I cut some Baltic Birch last year with my 40W laser. The glue definitely makes a difference.

If you buy laser grade baltic birch, it should have the better glue. It didn't leave the cut completely residue free but much less than the regular plywood from the hardware store.

For a single pass cut, I used speed = 12 mm/s, power = 50%. This needed sanding to clean up.
    Alternatively, for a better finish, I tried 3 passes at 50 mm/s, 100% power. This just left a slight residue, so much less or no clean up, if your ok with a light tan finish.

Let us know how you go on with the 150W kern. It would be good to see some pictures to compare with your other piece.
    Stuart Orrell
    LS6040 40W, CS3, Lasercut 5.1, SolidWorks,

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kowalczyk View Post
    I just installed a pin table and am working on the setting to prevent flash back but having air pulled from under the part also helps reduce smoke residue on top.
    Hi Michael,

Which pin table did you get and how do you like it?
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

Lee,

I will have to look for your 'fingerbox' macro. I initially started laying out the finger joints in Corel manually, but 1/2 way through found the rahulbotics box maker online and it worked well. I just took a closer look at the options and I guess I can just over-state the material thickness to achieve the same results...

If for some reason I end up doing more finger boxes I will take your advice on the flush-trim bit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Chua View Post
    Lee,

I will have to look for your 'fingerbox' macro. I initially started laying out the finger joints in Corel manually, but 1/2 way through found the rahulbotics box maker online and it worked well. I just took a closer look at the options and I guess I can just over-state the material thickness to achieve the same results...

If for some reason I end up doing more finger boxes I will take your advice on the flush-trim bit.

Thanks
    Glenn:
    As I originally advised. I do use Lee's macro and the default of .003. Sometimes though I don't sand it back because we like the look of the contrasting edges.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Usually a lower frequency will burn less.. For 1/8" on 'good' baltic birch I generally use a freq. of 150, speed about 12-15% and power 100% and get light brown edges.. The edges will always have some brown..after all..you 'are' dealing with a machine that does cut by vapourizing the wood..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it