Thread: Hollow Form Contrasting Woods

Hollow Form Contrasting Woods

I have a question for you hollow form turners. I see so many with the top opening with different woods. I haven't really tried that and generally make single wood hollow forms. What method do you guys use to add the different woods and do you turn with a wide opening and then add the different woods or turn with the contrasting woods at the same time. How do you glue the piece on? I'm sure I could experiment and find a good method, but asking you guys that do it frequently for a best method.

Allen, I assume you are talking about the collar? For me, it really depends on the design of the piece. Most of the time, I will hollow thru an opening that is smaller than the ultimate recess for the collar, in the event the entry hole is damaged. I will also leave the top a little thick until I do the collar. The recess is turned, and the disk for the collar is turned in a separate chuck. It is then glued in with Titebond, usually, using the tailstock for clamping pressure. The collar is opened up, and the top surface is thinned, if needed. Then, finish turn. Again, this isn't always the method as designs vary. I have installed the collar before hollowing, too.

Allen - check out this article by Travis: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...aching-Collars
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks guys. I have seen some of all your collars and really like them. I may have to give them a try in the future.

Allen...thanks you so much for asking this!!! Steve and John...I noticed Travis's collar was elevated about the form. My concern is making it flat of flush with the shoulder. Wouldn't you run the risk of thinning out the collar where it meets the shoulder and end up with tear out or feathering? How can this be avoided?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Jim, I do it a little different than Travis in that I have a step on the recess - much like you would have for a lid, and a double step on the collar insert. One does need a very good fit, but you do not have any feathering or tear out. Titebond will not stain the wood, and acts as a gap filler, as well. I have found this method to give a very clean look, and it permits me to finish turn the top of the form, and shape the collar, as well. Or, have it flush, if desired.