Thread: Clayton spindle sanders

Clayton spindle sanders

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of Clayton Oscillating spindle sanders? In particular what mechanism is used to change the spindles? We are thinking about buying one, but have never seen one.

I have one, best on the market. When you are talking about changing spindles, are you talking about the rubber sanding sleeves? There's a bolt with washer on top that you will loosen to change the sleeves. Takes 2 seconds max.

Clayton oscillating sander

I bought a used Model 140 Clayton oscillating. John is right about how you change
    the rubber cylinders. I am very happy with my sander. It runs very smoothly.
    The only trouble I have is my switch is a little loose, so I have to pull the on/off switch
    carefully (have to fix it someday). There switch design is pretty unique. You have to
    pull it down and out, which makes it impossible to accidently turn on the machine.

Same here. Sleeves come off and bolt on top holds it on.
    Very smooth sanding action. Ditto on the switch, Safe, but very different to switch on.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dean View Post
    Anyone have any first hand knowledge of Clayton Oscillating spindle sanders? In particular what mechanism is used to change the spindles? We are thinking about buying one, but have never seen one.
    I have a 140. As others have said, very simple.

The rubber sleeve has a 1/2 id hold that slides onto a bolt attached to the spindle. Just drop on the rubber, twist a nut, done!

HTC is killing/has killed Clayton sanders, but they still have some spare parts.

The rubber sleeves for the 140 is a 1/2 ID. Same as delta and I think Ridgid. I have a delta 3 inch sleeve that I use most of the time. Will probably buy a Ridgid set for backup.

Happy woodworking,
    Michael

Actually, I was refering to switching from one spindle size to the next. We have a Grizzly right now, and it uses a tapered spindle with a threaded end. It works itself loose frequently, and if you tighten it enough to prevent that, it is a real paint to get off. I was hoping the Clayton had a superior system before I deided to spend some serious money.

Michael,
    Thanks, I think that clears things up. If I've got this right, the spindle doesn't actually come off the machine, the rubber drums all have the same ID and different ODs. That sounds better than the Grizzly system.

Jim,
    That is correct, the different size drums are removable. Made in good old USA and a Baldor motor, can't be beat.