Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluorescent bulb and fixture recommendations

Fluorescent bulb and fixture recommendations

I am building a 23 x 31' shop and am looking for bulb and fixture recommendations. I have found multiple posts on fixture layout, and plan to go with eight 8' tandems and five 4' fixtures - a total of 50 T8 bulbs. But I haven't seen much on the best fixtures and bulbs to buy.

Re the fixtures, I am considering the Lithonia brand at Home Depot, but am glad to consider others and spend more for better quality. Also, any recs on strip vs reflector vs covered fixtures?

Re the bulbs, I will buy several color types and see which I like best. But who makes the longest lasting and best value bulbs? Thanks much.

At one time, I would have said that Lithonia brand was good stuff. However, in my recent experience, Lithonia may have dumbed down the product for sale at Home Depot. So, I can't really comments. Sorry.

Cool white in 48" is the most economical bulb that is often available in economy packs of 24 bulbs. I don't think you can beat that. As far as preference in color, that's something in the eye of the beholder.

Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Lithonia has a wide variety of products, and grades/quality levels of products. The really good stuff doesn't make the shelves of the BORG [like many mfgrs/products].

I have a basement shop filled with these [and their 4' counterparts]. Electronic ballast. Dead-silent. Unheated basement [that never gets below 55* or so] so I got ones with cool temp capability.

Not at all cheap. Cry once. I would make the same decision again 7 years later. I got what I paid for.

Jim - if you ever drive down south to the big city, you are welcome to inspect in situ.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...N=0&sst=subset
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

In the February 2002 FWW, IIRC, Creeker Jack Lindsey wrote an excellent article about shop lighting....specifially shop fluorescent lighting....the different types of fluorescents...the difference in types of ballasts...how to select a good quality ballast...how to design your lighting based on ceiling to work surface height....lighting placement...how to design your shop lighting taking into consideration your age....that's right...older folks need twice the light.

Lithonia like other lighting manufacturers makes several different grades of products. You can't just buy by brand recognition.

I bought and downloaded the article. Well worth the fee.

Everybody who has come into my shop compliments me on the lighting.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-11-2011 at 8:30 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My shop is your size and I have the exact combo you are describing. USed the affore mentioned Lindsey article as a guide...although it is someone dated now and IIRC didn't get too much into t8. I would also recommend it.

I bought the Lithonia fixtures from HD, two years so far so good. T8 have inherent cold start capability (unlike t12)...mine start at sub zero. I went with 5000K Sylvania with a 85 CRI. Not that pricey and I like them.

George....it's gets into T-8's and states that T-12's have a limited life span as they are going to be removed from the market.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    George....it's gets into T-8's and states that T-12's have a limited life span as they are going to be removed from the market.
    It's been awhile Ken...and I am slightly addled ;-)

Me too George.....so much so I'm retiring in 20 days from a company that has a strong presence in the Milwaukee area. February 1st I'll be retired from GE Health Care....(was GE Medical Systems) in your area.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Me too George.....so much so I'm retiring in 20 days from a company that has a strong presence in the Milwaukee area. February 1st I'll be retired from GE Health Care....(was GE Medical Systems) in your area.
    Sure, off 94 in the burbs. I have a way to go but congrats Ken...20 days and then you can get to work! ;-)

I've had the HD Lithonia brand T-8s in my garage for about 3 years and only one bulb has died out of ~30 bulbs. I even replaced what I had in the kitchen (large soffet) with the very same thing. T-8s offer no buzzing, bright light, instant on and long lasting bulbs.

I would caution against 8' bulbs unless you are sure to have a helper on hand all the time: they are just tough to deal with alone. 4 footers are cake alone.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The HD Lithonia fixtures also have a pull chain so you can turn off the ones in the area you're not working in.
    FWIW
    CR
    History teaches us that both men and nations behave wisely,
    once they have exhausted all other alternatives~~Abba Eban

Lithonia makes many models and types of fixtures. They make more than one grade. Generally speaking, you will get what you pay for.
    Ken

In the February 2002 FWW, IIRC, Creeker Jack Lindsey wrote and excellent article about shop lighting....specifially shop fluorescent lighting....the different types of fluorescents...the difference in types of ballasts...how to select a good quality ballast...how to design your lighting based on ceiling to work surface height....lighting placement...how to design your shop lighting taking into consideration your age....that's right...older folks need twice the light.

Lithonia like other lighting manufacturers makes several different grades of products. You can't just buy by brand recognition
    Thanks. I found his article especially helpful and used it for designing the fixture layout and my preference for T8 and elec ballasts. Not much discussion of specific brand fixtures to use, though. For those who liked the Lithonia, any recommendation on the model? Do people recommend covering the lamps or just leaving them open? Covering seems cleaner but I guess could reduce light output slightly, and makes changing bulbs a PITA. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by jim gossage View Post
    Thanks. I found his article especially helpful and used it for designing the fixture layout and my preference for T8 and elec ballasts. Not much discussion of specific brand fixtures to use, though. For those who liked the Lithonia, any recommendation on the model? Do people recommend covering the lamps or just leaving them open? Covering seems cleaner but I guess could reduce light output slightly, and makes changing bulbs a PITA. Thanks guys.
    I'm not sure what people recommend but I just have them open. Dust will get in there and it makes them not only harder to change, but harder to clean. As far as what model...whatever HD has. 4 bulb 8' fixture was $32 IIRC.

I went with commercial grade 4 bulb T8 from a local home center and GE F32T SPK35-ECO (3500k) lights from Grainger (not cheap).